CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

modify a cdi

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2003 | 04:20 AM
|
Pro Rider
Default modify a cdi

Does anybody know if you can just modify a stock cdi to get rid of the limiter. I'm pretty strapped on cash and can't afford a new one.

P.S. Anybody have one that is willing to sell for cheap. (pm me) please

Old 04-06-2003 | 06:57 AM
Pro Rider
It's official, I've been duning for over 30 years.
Default modify a cdi

Although you can read posts on the aftermarket CDIs on this forum on any given day, in reality they are not a magic box and don't give you much if anything for your money. Gearing and tires are where it's at on a DS, and don't cheap out on the tires. Next a performance air filter, rejet and some clutch springs, after that grab a pitchfork and start throwing money at the DS.
Altering the CDI's rev limit only really comes in handy once you alter the engines useable range and that takes cams, springs, exhaust and carb. Even used, this package will come in around $1000. Oh, and as far as I know, no one has hacked into the stock CDI yet.
If you are dying to get a CDI, and it consumes your every waking thought, try motorcycle wrecking yards and look for a BMW f650 Funduro CDI, they don't have the rev limit and interchange with the DS. I bought one from Europe for around $60.

Old 04-06-2003 | 08:55 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default modify a cdi

there is a slight performance gain at all rpms ranges with the aftermarket cdi due to advanced ignition timing, but the increased rev limit does not help in the power dept, I agree with mystereid. many dynos have proven that peak power falls off after 7K, and going past 8K does little good which is why the stock limit is 7700. its so easy to hit the rev limit, most people find it a blessing to be rid of it though.
in the case of mods internal - lack of rev limit is a must, and in some cases myself included the 9300 limit offered by some cdi's is still too low.

Old 04-06-2003 | 01:29 PM
Pro Rider
Default modify a cdi

Is a aftermarket cdi better than a stock F650 or would thay do the same thing. (curve wise)

Old 04-06-2003 | 01:36 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Default modify a cdi

I'll take a stab at the cdi, the stock one takes you right to peak power right as you get there it falls off like a cliff. the cdi takes you there, the difference is you don't fall off on the power as fast, which you will feel but not like the stock cdi. my thought is it makes the ds easier to race, and it really comes in handy on sand hill races.

Old 04-06-2003 | 10:41 PM
Range Rover
Default modify a cdi

Marky , I have the book with specs for the "new 03 model" and it says the rev limiter is set at 7700 not 8000 ?? where do u get your info from ???

I do agree that u have to have an aftermarket CDi to get the beast to work in the meat of the power ...night and day difference to me .....

Cheers

Prokiw

Old 04-07-2003 | 12:19 AM
Pro Rider
Default modify a cdi

What if it is on disk? I getting one off of e-bay. DO you think a box off a bmw f650 would work good?

Old 04-07-2003 | 02:29 AM
Pro Rider
Default modify a cdi

Originally posted by: MarkyNark
Crazy,

To modify a CDI, you'd need some pretty expensive equipment to reburn the EPROM in the CDI. There's no physical way to do it. I belive the CDI is one of several mods that's easy and can give a good increase in power, especially when used with a combination of other mods.

Marky
I'm not trying to argue here, but Marky is mistaken[No offence, Marky, just inside info]. The Team Pami, Ron Woods, and Bombardier CDI are all made by Nipindenso, and are all the same, internaly. The problem comes from how you extrapolate the alternative programs from the box. Each box has 4 programs inside of it, and they can be accessed if you know how. The problem is that no one outside of Nipindenso knows how to free these other programs. Attemts to access the other programs, that are not succsesfull, will destroy the program.

It's best to just buy a different box, but the stock box does have other curves built in to it.

Money spent to figure out how to access these other programs would be wasted, since it would be almost impossible to prevent the spread of this info if it were to reach the public.

Old 04-07-2003 | 03:31 AM
Pro Rider
Default modify a cdi

Well I think it is time we make a inside friend over at Nipindenso!!!!!![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]

Old 04-07-2003 | 01:40 PM
Pro Rider
Default modify a cdi

sorry mystereid i disagree about what to buy first. the cdi box is the first mod i would ever install on any stock or mod ds. when mine was bone stock (except for the cdi box) i rode the trails with another ds w/out the box and i just cooked him any time we went side by side. whats the advantage to a pipe or air filter if the motor signs off befor it can start to sing? if bombardier would have done this from the start they would have faired much better in all the test and sold a whole lot more machines.

Quick Reply: modify a cdi