CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Outlander vs Eiger

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2003, 10:10 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Outlander vs Eiger

I am looking to buy a new atv and I was planning on getting the Eiger 400 4x4 but im wondering about the Bombardier Outlander and if anybody out there knows how it compares to the Eiger. I know the Eiger beat it int he ATV TV comparison test but the outlander won atv of the year. Any input on the subject would be very helpful ,thanx. Also i would like to know what you paid for your Outlander or Eiger, at a local dealer i can get an Eiger for $4350 without tax and I haven't looked for prices for the outlander but im thinking there alot more.

Old 04-07-2003, 10:44 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Outlander is faster, more powerfull, has independent rear suspension and the visco-loc front diff. I don't know what the Eiger will tow, but the Outlander will tow 1100 lbs. I haven't ridden either one, but the Outlander is the only 400 that will keep up with 500s.

Old 04-08-2003, 12:11 AM
Pro Rider
Sound advice there. "Hey, watch this........"
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think that latest test in Dirtwheels pretty much said it all. Yes, the Outlander is a better bike than the Eiger. However the differences between the two all bordered on insignificant. The faster Outlander beat the Eiger in a drag test by 3 feet. What was really interesting was the results of the technical handling/ rough trail comparison. There too, the Outlander was judged the best ride with it's IRS but not by any great measure. While the Eiger is rated to tow a little less at 992 pounds, that kind of spec, like rack weight limits, is often influenced by legal issues rather than the true abilities of the bike.

This is not an Outlander bashing post. Both it and the Eiger are among the best out there - good solid ATV's from good reliable companies. My only areas of contention with the Outlander is that for me, I hate the looks plus I do wonder how well all that plastic will hold up over time, cold temperatures and impact. Both will have no trouble at all keeping pace with the'big boys' on the woodsy type trails and both will get spanked by them on flat fire trails.

Which one to buy should be based on price and how important particular features are to you and how you ride. $4,350 is a great price for an Eiger. (I'm assuming that's 4x4 5-speed?). If you really want IRS then it's Outlander. If you hate single lever braking or want a 5-speed, then the Eiger is the best choice. Sometimes it's as simple as sitting on an ATV and getting the one that 'feels' right.

Jaybee