CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

decided not to get a ds650 :-(

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2003, 11:38 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default decided not to get a ds650 :-(

Tyrespinner,

You are correct sir!! DS's are TOOOOO heavy to be getting stuck! I love my DS!! but it would be a last choice for SNOW.

Anyway, FIRST, of all, DONT YOU EVER MAKE ME SAY SOMETHING BAD ABOUT MY QUAD AGAIN![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]LOL.

The 400ex, and 400Z, are hands down the best quads for your situation, (especially for the money), your right,, they are light and fun in the trails, and you can pick up the front-end at any speed with a tug on the bars.

GOOD LUCK.

BIggerisbetter.

Old 04-14-2003, 03:42 PM
Pro Rider

Thanks guys for posting honest remarks, and not stupid bashing like the idiots earlier in the thread.

I can guarantee if I lived in the states where there is almost no snow and lots of sand, i'd probably have 2 DS's. I'll probably get a 400-class quad, either a Honda or Suzuki, depending if I can get a good deal on the Suzuki.

Peace

Old 04-14-2003, 08:00 PM
Pro Rider

I have to vouch for Tyre.. as much as I love my DS but it spun like a **** in the snow... my old 400 EX was a bit easier to pull out of the snow and toss around. I kind of miss that quad cause it's such a wheelie machine. Tyre don't feel bad, I can't wheelie my DS either on command like I could on a 400. If I see a good deal on a 400 EX next year I will purchase a 3rd quad. I got a Raptor to replace it and it picks up the tires easy too but with aburpt grunt and it's much harder to keep them up there than the 400.

Old 04-14-2003, 08:14 PM
Pro Rider

Did you ever consider a Raptor or a Predator? Both big bore quads with 400 class frames.

Old 04-14-2003, 09:48 PM
Pro Rider

Big how much did that raptor tranny conversion dent your wallet? I'm considering one myself...

Yeah Predator is a large bike.. more Banshee like in size. I think he'd be better off with 400, Z400 or raptor.

Old 04-15-2003, 03:58 PM
Pro Rider

Thanks Entomber, yer teh only one who supports meh ! lol [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Also for those that said I won't have to worry about spinning tires on a 400ex...a 416cc kit+cam+slip-on will eat a stock DS650 and run with the piped ones, etc.

And all those mods on the 400ex plus the bike itself would come to a lot less than the MSRP of a Baja. You can add some suspension mods and you've got a better handling, more agile and just as fast quad for pretty much the same price.

Bashing with no backing is just childish.

Thanks

Old 04-15-2003, 04:26 PM
Elite Pro Rider

tryespinner there are guys in here that spend a lot of there time on there ds, and to come in here and ask all the questions you have, and to have them give you as much of there time as they have, then you come and tell them the ds isn't for you because of the snow, is a little hard you basically wasted there time, if you do a search on the front page there is a article on the ds in the snow they said it sucks, it didn't take much to figure out that a 500 pound machine stuck in the snow isn't much fun, even the big guys on the ds won't tell you there light to lift. but as i was loading the 400 honda we got last weekend, i thought of you and i don't think you are going to enjoy a 400 pound quad stuck in the snow either. as far as performance on the honda it is a nice quad you will be happy with it, but as you spend money on cams, piston and then you realise it is only in the 400cc class you will think i should have gotten a big bore raptor ds predator. as far as snow that is what snowmoblies are for, but if you want to know what atv to get go with a 81-82 honda 250r three wheeler i had one of those and they rock in the snow they will go lots of places the 4 wheelers won't but they have big ballon tires and power, plus you will save a lot of money, and you can make those faster than a 400 easy. i'm not trying to bash you but i'm one of the guys that feel as if you wasted my time, we all really enjoy the ds, and when you were asking all the questions it seemed like the nice thing to do help you with what we have enjoyed. it seems that you come on here saying that the honda is the quad as if you need to convince yourself, most of the guys in here have more than one, and since the retail on the ds is more than most other quads you don't have to tell them which one is good, they have enough money to buy the good ones that they want. if you check some have a couple of ds's heck there is that azsand guy that has 4 and if you want to talk honda he will give all the info you need there to.

Old 04-15-2003, 04:33 PM
Pro Rider

The tranny conv. was about $400 if you do the labor yourself, raptortranny.com helps

Old 04-15-2003, 04:35 PM
Pro Rider

Oh, and sandman that was a very good post!

Old 04-15-2003, 04:59 PM
Pro Rider

Sorry if I wasted your time,

the whole thing behind my questions was "I have yet to try it, so i have a few questions first"

Then, when I finally found someone to befriend and let me try one, I wasn't pleased with it's snow performance.
That's all I said and added a big thanks for those that helped me do my research.

And I do honestly appreciate your help Sandman and everyone else.

And also, I have ridden many honda 400s and they are real nice in snow, they aren't too much of problem to unstuck since you can literally pick up the back by the grab bar and move it. The 90+ lb. heavier DS is a lot harder to lift and to move because of it's width.

The other thing is, the DS <U>will</U> get stuck worse and more often than the ex. I didn't expect it to be that way, but it is, and i'm sorry if I wasted your time. I was really psyched at getting a DS, but since I'm away most of the summer, I need it for snow.

Thanks

Quick Reply: decided not to get a ds650 :-(