CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Oil Change Questions-comments!

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2003, 10:37 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil Change Questions-comments!

Just did my 10hour service and changed the oil and filter. Spec'd the valves and I was well within spec. Lubed everything and I'm good to go.

#1 Just put my TM 45 on and had to remove the oil tank/light to get the stock cable out and put the new cable in. No problem except for the pain-in-th-a$$ nut on the bottom of the tank int the frame brace. This thing is very tight. I probably will not put it back on. Just used the bolt like a pin. Can't possibly come out unless I wreck REAL BAD! Any problems with this???

#2 I used Golden Spectrol 10w40. Is that oil good. It's a blend and I was told that all the premium oil is good. I could have bought the Honda stuff, but asked the guy and that's when he said that all the premium stuff is good. Saved 12 cents per quart! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]

#3 I actually made a little mod on the fly. I ran a barb fitting out of the oil tank instead of the plug and ran a short piece of hose to a small ball vavle, then hose again through the center hole of the steering support (the one that has that little drilled tab angled out) then through the lower braces center hole. The hose comes out about 1inch below the support. Should make my next oil change a snap!

#4 The only pain was the oil filter. What a mess! is there a less messy way to do it than just popping the cover? No big deal, just brake-cleaner'ed the area and I was good as gold. It was a big mess though.

Bigger is Better! except when you're on a plain, train or automobile. The world is just too small for me sometimes! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]