CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Random stalling...sup with that??

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2003, 07:52 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Random stalling...sup with that??

Also check your intake boot. I will agree that it sounds like jetting. Make sure that you check and see if you're running an accelerator pump on that TM 45 (if that is in fact what you have). Sounds like your running a little rich, but it could be caused by a:

Cracked boot - stalling
Dirty Carb - not holding an idle (intermitantly)
"Skips a beat" - tm 45 not quite jetted right, close but not a good cigar!
Bad gas - cause all of these problems.

Check your plugs, that would be my first look.

Let us know!

Old 05-01-2003, 08:48 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: BigDaddy331
Also check your intake boot. I will agree that it sounds like jetting. Make sure that you check and see if you're running an accelerator pump on that TM 45 (if that is in fact what you have). Sounds like your running a little rich, but it could be caused by a:Cracked boot - stallingDirty Carb - not holding an idle (intermitantly)"Skips a beat" - tm 45 not quite jetted right, close but not a good cigar!Bad gas - cause all of these problems. Check your plugs, that would be my first look.Let us know!
Okay, first, I do have a TM45, I have a complete Stage One.

Second, how do I know if I'm running a pump or not (like I said, not that mechanically gifted, :-(), and ummm...how complicated is it to drain the float bowl? I'm a complete noobie when it comes to carburators....

And finally, do I need a torque wrench to properly reinstall the plugs?? (I've removed them before, but was wondering if a torque wrench is essential??)

Thanks again, for your time and knowledge(which I lack of).

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 05-01-2003, 09:13 PM
Pro Rider

ON the side of the cable pull of the carburator, you'll see a white plastic piece between the cable horn and the body of the carborator. ON that exact corner, there will be a steel rod going through the two holes on the carb (one on top and one on bottom). If the rod is there, you have an acc. pump. If not, you don't. I really don't think that your problems are pump related, due to the fact that it really doesn't have anything to do with the idle. Once you start working on the carb, you'll find that they are VERY easy.

Float bowl is easy.... under the carb you have a curved shaped bowl. On the bottom of that bowl you'll see a hex head plug. I don't remember what the size is, but I imagen it's probably a 15 or 17mm ( I don't remember at all - sorry. Anyway, the best side to do this from will be the driver's side or the left side of the machine. Don't for get to put a towl down on top of the motor. While your at it and on that side, you'll see where the fuel comes into the carb. Might as well drain the tank, cause if it's in your bowl it's in your tank. Why take a chance? However, I don't think that's it - but maybe.....

Spark plugs. Yes there is a torque spec. I have never used one! I just get it tight and give it a little more. Kind of a feel thing. Just make sure it's tight though, cause if it's loose, that could cause stalling as well. So NO a torque wrench is not essential.

Let us know.....

Old 05-01-2003, 09:31 PM
Elite Pro Rider

all of the problem you a telling us are ones that are commen on that carb and isn't that bog at low throttle a lean bog? if main jet doesn't do any thing try a larger pilot jet, i have a47.5 and don't notice these issues as much. i don't have the pump and can live without it the way it runs now.

Old 05-01-2003, 09:46 PM
Pro Rider

Okay guys,
I'll check it out tomorrow morning when there's light out..(It's raining and dark right now, and not enough room in my garage).

Thanks again Big Daddy(carb expert), and Sandman (all-around guy) for all the help you guys are givin' meh. I really do appreciate it.

Old 05-01-2003, 09:51 PM
Elite Pro Rider

hey forgot to tell you to take the drain plug off the bottom of the airbox if you go lidless.

Old 05-01-2003, 09:52 PM
Trailblazer

Maybe you should replace the carb with a Polaris one. Then you know it would run right from the beginning.

Old 05-01-2003, 09:56 PM
Pro Rider

That was the dumbest post I ever saw!!

Old 05-01-2003, 10:03 PM
Pro Rider

Rofl...

good one...

Consider stand up comedy ibdboss.

Old 05-01-2003, 10:05 PM
Trailblazer

Just screwing with you guys. I knew it would get a rise out of some of ya. I really think the DS650 is a nice bike.

Quick Reply: Random stalling...sup with that??