CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

3 hrs on the Dyno - WOW!

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2003, 01:36 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3 hrs on the Dyno - WOW!

As I stated in one of Tyrespinners posts, I did some Dyno-tuning runs today. Skip at Sand Tech here in Las Vegas, did the work and wow, what a difference.

First off, I gotta thank Skip for his AWSOME work. I bought the bike new from him and he has been there every part of my stage one. Not only did he spend A LOT of extra time, but he did some teaching today as well. I was shocked at how simple tuning can make such a big difference.

History: The monster was purchased about 2 1/2 months ago and I immediately went with the Big Gun system and the RW REV BOX. I road about 4 good tanks through it for probably about 15 hours. Lot's of desert flying and a couple of trips to the dunes.

After that, Skip ran it on the dyno for the first time. The stock numbers were:
33HP to the rear wheels (RWHP)

After the pipe, box and filter it was jetted for about 40.5 RWHP. (+7.5 RWHP)

I purchased Samcoed's TM 45 and worked with him and Elliot (Ron Woods Racing) to bring it back from Alky burning to pump gas. Thanks for everything Stacy!

My seat of the pants feeling after the 45 went on, was that the bottom and mid were a monster and that the top end seemed dull. I actually stated this in a previous post. Well.... the seat of the pants was like science! The dyno after I added the 45 showed a loss of about 2.5 RWHP. After the TM45:
38RWHP (- 2.5 RWHP) UGH! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

After about 2 1/2 hours of Dyno-TUNING Skip had that thing singing! the full stage one kit dyno'd at:
43 RWHP! Skip went through 4 plugs and lots of annoying questions and conversation with me!

The increase came with NO SIZE CHANGE TO THE MAIN, NEEDLE OR PILOT!

Results:

Stock = 33 RWHP
Partial Stage 1 (everything except the TM 45) = 40.5 RWHP
Full Stage one (before it was dialed in) = 38 RWHP
Full Stage one (after it was dialed in) = 43 RWHP

Carb set up (straight of the dyno notes) = 150 main, 97 needle - 1 clip from the top, air correction 3 turns out
(Altitude 300ft above see level)

Peak HP @ 6250 rpm

On Dyno run 7, we saw 42 RWHP and 1 turn out on air correction gave me my peak at 43 RWHP.

TM 45 by itself shows a gain of 2.5 RWHP over the partial stage one as earlier explained. This increase suggests that Elliot at RWR is right on the money when he told me that the carb itself should net gain between 2 - 3 RWHP.

All said and done, I did get a little more torque off the bottom but suffered on the top end. Skip was a huge help and without his knowledge and dyno I'm not sure if it would ever have been this close to perfect.

What a difference a little change here or there can make!

Old 05-11-2003, 02:34 AM
Pro Rider

So what exactly did you mess around with to go from 38 to 42 ponies??

Old 05-11-2003, 04:47 AM
Pro Rider

Air mixture screw was pretty critical, but most of all it was playing around with the needle. I had NO idea that such a small adjustment here or there would be such a big deal. Also, the particular needle that I have, has a pretty brutal step in it when it transitions from mid to high. that made things a little tricky. Once the right combo was in place it ran great.

Low-end bog: No matter what we did with that particular set-up did anything for the small amount of hesitation that I have. I think that a larger pilot might help a little. Right now, I'm a tad lean on the very bottom end. Samcoed feels that that is where the BOMB likes to run - a little lean on the bottom and a little fat at the top.

Also worth mentioning, we were taking header temps the entire time. Our first couple of runs resulted in header temps of 420*F plus. when it was all said and done, the peak temps were around 330*F. That is a huge difference.

Should make the bike be that much more cooler.

Those that have heat problems might look to a good Dyno-tuner for some help. My back didn't run bad before, but as you can see, a little makes a LOT of difference.

Old 05-11-2003, 11:42 AM
Pro Rider

That is a very impresive report there BigDaddy[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] So did you end up raising or lower the needle from it's origanal position. And what position was original. Thats is a big diff in heat. For that reason alone I will be doing some Dyno time as soon as I can. Good job!!

Old 05-11-2003, 12:03 PM
Pro Rider

The needle was in the middle position. By the time we were done, it was in the second grove from the top. Which means that the needle was setting down further into the main jet (for those who are confused).

The better set up would have been to has a 147.5 main jet and a different needle. Due to the shape and taper of the needle, Skip felt that it was an Alky needle. Which would make sense seeing as how it came from Samcoed. You guys know he's crazy right? [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

A little less aggressive taper on the needle would have shown a little better curve (a little flatter possibly), but I aint complaining.

Samcoed gave me a real good deal on an almost flawless carb, with all the money I saved, the Dyno-tuning session was easy to justify. Now that it is done, I would have paid double for it. Very simply, the session was a requirement. I will have my digital camera tonight, and will try to get the printouts (3 in all) up for you guys, any suggestions on how to do it would be great.

Thanks

Old 05-11-2003, 12:49 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

FYI - there are 3 needles available for this carb - 95,96,97. The only differences between them is in the straight portion. The higher the #, the leaner the needle.

Old 05-11-2003, 03:07 PM
Pro Rider

Hey Big D! How much does this guy charge to do these Dyno runs? I am in Vegas right now and I will be here until Thursday. I would maybe like to try it out if the price is right.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Trending Topics

Old 05-11-2003, 03:16 PM
Pro Rider

i too would like to know the price, i know of a couple of dyno shops for cars, what should i know about to see if they could or even would dyno a quad, any special equipment that i should be looking for, i live here in Oklahoma, does anyone know of anyone around here that dyno quads

Old 05-11-2003, 08:32 PM
Pro Rider

Hightower, I know that the carb even from a Harley Shop comes with those three stages. However I believe that Sudco can get you just about anything you want. I know that I have 2 97's, 95, and a 94. One of my 97's (the one I'm using) has a dramatic step in it. The one I'm not using has a little scuff mark in it and figured that it would hurt the performance of the needle. Those little scuffs can play havic! That particular needle doesn't have a dramatic step, but a pretty constant taper all the way from the bottom.

I hate to tell you guys what he charged me.....

We'll here it goes....

$90 for the entire thing. Didn't even charge me for the spark plugs.

Also worth mentioning:
I just got back from a 2 1/2 hour ride. We rode some pretty technical desert today and got a little of everything. The temp at my house was 85*F so the desert was at least 90 - 93*F. Rode with a 417 EX (12:1- damn quick bike!) and a new-factory fresh predator with about 100 miles on it. Never once did I throttle bog, nor did I even think about it. The only time it boggs is if I just completely slam the throttle. Obviously there isn't a lot of call for that kind of throttling. We lined the bikes up and had a pretty good race at the end of the ride. Even though I was geared way low (14 on the front) I took both pretty easily. The predator was there until the very beginning of 4th and then I walked away. I think that if my gearing would have been back to the 15 or 16 tooth front, I would have beaten him earlier.

Most important reason for the little story. Between my new shrouds and the tuning of the bike, the fan didn't come on one time! The predator fan ran Constantly! I mean every time we shut the bikes down, that darn thing was singing! Not for a minute, but until we started again or he shut the key off. I was VERY impressed with how the monster performed.

Money well spent.

anyone got a 11:1 piston and cams??? [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 05-11-2003, 08:55 PM
Pro Rider

How busy are these guy's? I would like to bring mine in for some testing! Is it by the hour or something? What is the guy's name and the number for Sandtech?

Quick Reply: 3 hrs on the Dyno - WOW!