Chinese Quads Brands such as Jetmoto, Yamoto, Redcat, V-Bike, Hi Bird, and Kazuma

Looking to buy, opinions please

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2006, 12:25 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking to buy, opinions please

Hi all new to the forums here. My son and I currently go out to ride dirtbikes on the weekends so my wife feels a little left out. I was thinking of getting her a ATV so she can go out and ride with us when we go. SInce I cannot afford one of the name brand ATV's I am looking at the chinese models. I am thinking of getting her a 125cc/150cc thats fully automatic. After sending emails to several places selling them (not raceway) and not getting any replies I was hoping some of you could give your experience if this is a right way to go. If I buy one of these it will not be ridden hard or abused just mostly something my wife can learn on and toy around on while we ride trails. Im more concerned about quality of these cheaper bikes and how long it will stay reliable. I have read good and bad about them and its very hard to make a decision. I am mechanically inclined and work on our dirt bikes, cars etc. but I also dont want something that needs to be fixed all the time. If anyone can help that would be great.

Old 03-22-2006, 01:18 PM
Trailblazer

One of these knock off atv's may be a good choice for you. I have purchased thru John at Raceway and have had good luck so far with him. The new style Redcats have a far superior suspension than the earlier ones. The build quality also appears to get better and better. I have the KMZ 150 (2004) and VX-200 (2005). The KMZ is fully auto w/reverse - nice well mannered machine but the suspension is very stiff. The VX-200 is liquid cooled and a 5 speed manual trans but has the newer more progressive suspension. Redcat does make a 150 that is basicly the same frame as the vx-200 but in automatic (primary/secondary centrifugal clutching). I am not positive but I think the 150 only has hand brakes - no foot brake - but don't quote me on that. The only mods I made were larger 20 inch tires and rear wheel spacers (the front wheels can be reversed for a wider stance.) The Vx-200 is a little small in frame size for my liking. I am only 5'-10 195 Lbs but I feel a little cramped when I'm using a little body english. Other than that, if you take your tme with the initial assembly and make the necessary adjustments these arn't bad little quads for the money. I don't think they would hold up to day after day thrashing like a Honda would but for the novice rider they are a decent machine with a decent price. John also offers a Jetmoto brand but I am not too familiar with those. There is a lot of good info in this forum on what to expect when you purchase one of these units.

Old 03-22-2006, 08:36 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Crewcab,

In can tell you that service a t Raceway is top notch. I would recommend a JetMoto quad from them . They are built much better than most other chinese quads out there. Redcat has come along way but I dont think the quality is as good as the Jetmoto brand. If you are somewhat mechanically inclined you should not have any problems. Most other companies are out for your money and you wont get service after the sale. John at Raceway is a great guy to deal with and I think he goes out of his way to take care of his customers. You cant go wrong with Raceway.

Old 03-23-2006, 12:37 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks for the info guys. Im still not sure what I should do, should I spend a few more hundred and pick up a used Polaris Trailblazer 250 or go with one of these knock off versions. My biggest fear I guess is spending $1500 on one of these and it having nothing but problems. I really like this model here but have no idea if its even still available. Kazuma 250 I think in Austrailia it called a Kazuma Shark 250?

Old 03-23-2006, 09:27 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

The Kazuma have a narrow stance and stiffer suspension. I would steer away from the Kazuma Falcon. The Jetmoto is a very stable machine with great suspension, and plenty of power. The Trailblazer is also a great quad and it is name brand. You may be able to find a used one for around 2K. If you want new without the high $$$ Jetmoto is the best way to go or used name brand. Honda 250ex, Polaris Trailblazer or Trailboss, Yamaha wolverine.

Old 03-23-2006, 11:52 PM
Trailblazer

Though I personally own a Falcon 250 I would not recommend buyng it if you don't want to do a lot of modifications to make it a top notch machine that would keep up with a Honda 400 and 450 ex in the trails. There's not much I can do as far as the straights go, I get spanked off the line, I paid over $4000 less than they did though. I have invested some extra money into mine and have it running way above my expectations. I'm an improvement/re-engineering fanatic and didn't mind because I have my own machine/welding/engine shop but since it's for your wife I'd go with something else like the jetmoto 200. If you check out the Raceway site, you'll notice they stopped selling the Falcon 250 because of the performance issues. Driving mine when it was stock I can't blame them. From what I've heard the Jetmoto 200 outperforms the Falcon 250 on all counts. Knowing what my Falcon 250 ran stock I'd have no problems or doubts admitting to this. Your best bet, in my opinion, is to call John at Raceway, tell him your scenario and see what he recommends. I'll let you know that if you should take it for a ride to see how it does it will probably not be the only time.

Old 03-24-2006, 08:24 AM
Trailblazer

Sounds like people are really pushing the Jetmoto. They have had some bad publicity in the past - dealer support is everything - if anyone can turn Jetmoto around it's Raceway. Also, check out Redcatmotors.com. It appears the vx-200 and the jetmoto are very simmilar in size with a few upgrades added. Redcat is also adding two adult size atv's to their line up a 350 & 400- one is 4x4? Looks like the list price is starting to get up there though. Best of luck.

Old 03-25-2006, 01:04 AM
Trailblazer

Again, thank you for the replies. I have decided to give one of these knock off quads a try. The only thing I am not crazy about on these is the chrome parts. I did come across this 250cc that I really like alot. Komoto TL250C Its a good size and not too aggressive looking and without all the chrome. I cant seem to find too much info on the Komoto quads. The engines all look the same on every off brand that I have looked at so far. But for right around $1500 shipped its the price I am looking for. With the size and features it has I think it will be perfect for my wife and me to ride also. Here are the specs I found on it.

BRAND/MODEL

KOMOTO TL250C

OVERALL DIMENSIONS (L x W x H)

70" x 41' x 42"

WHEEL BASE

45.7"

MIN. GROUND CLEARANCE

5"
RIDER CAPACITY 1 Person

DRY WEIGHT

396 LBS

TRANSMISSION SYSTEM

4 Speed manual (clutch) with reverse

SHOCK

Adjustable Shock

STARTER (ELECTRIC)

Electrical

IGNITION

C.D.I.

MAX. SPEED

40+ MPH

FUEL TANK CAPACITY

1.8 Gallon

FRONT TIRES SIZE (ATV's)

22x7-10

REAR TIRES SIZE (ATV's)

22x10-10

BRAKE

Front-Dual Disc/Rear-Disc

PARKING BRAKE (ATV's)

Mechanical Lock

FRONT SUSPENSION

Shock
REAR SUSPENSION Shock

CYLINDER ARRANGEMENT

Single Cylinder

COMPRESSION RATIO (ENGINE)

9.2:1

ENGINE COOLING

Air Cooled

BORE X STROKE

67x65mm

Old 03-25-2006, 02:13 PM
Weekend Warrior

I haven't heard of a komoto yet. it is a good price but be warned that there are alot of here to day go tomorrow manufactures of these quads, I would go with a more established off brand if I were you, even if it cost me a little extra money.

Old 03-25-2006, 06:33 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Well all I can say is good luck with your purchase. I hope that your first experience would be a good experience. Komoto has been around a while but it is the dealer that you have to worry about. We are trying to steer you in the right direction to make your first experience as easy as possible. It looks like an ok quad but no one here knows about the reliability of the Komoto. Hopefully you have dealer support after the sale. You said you could not afford a name brand and want a chinese quad but yet you are going with someone that no one has any input on. Its a gamble. If I did not have alot of money I would go with a name that is trusted and a company that has a great reputation just incase something goes wrong. I really hope everything goes ok for you. Keep us updated.

Quick Reply: Looking to buy, opinions please