Chinese Quads Brands such as Jetmoto, Yamoto, Redcat, V-Bike, Hi Bird, and Kazuma

Starter/solenoid question

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2009, 09:03 AM
Electrical Expert
Likes High Voltage In The Tub!
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by biggie970
WOW - here I am googling, trying to find answers to fix my kids ride and I find someone with the same issues it seems.

China "Eagle" 110cc ATV:
My tail lights wont work and the starter button will not work. I have been trying the screwdriver on the solenoid trick, but the motor just cranks. My guess seems to suggest that I have some type of short in the wiring??? Just a guess. It did this the day before, the tail light not working and not starting. My son started turning the handle bars back and fourth and the lights started to work and the start button worked. The next day, no lights or button.

Shouldnt it start when I hit the solenoid and since it isnt, would that suggest I have some type of short with the kill switches? Any help would be great.
Count the number of pins on your CDI. I believe that eagle quads use a 4 pin CDI instead of the much more common 5 pin. These CDI's are DC powered (compared to the more common AC powered), thus if you have problems with battery power not making it to the quad lights then it probably doesn't make it to the CDI as well. Thus you won't get spark even with the ignition on, and shorting across the solenoid.

For reference, this is a pic of the 5 pin AC powered CDI:

Name:  50cc-cdi.jpg
Views: 8282
Size:  19.2 KB

I don't have a picture of a 4 pin CDI, but Airmobile101 was kind enough to post a pic of one in a much earlier post. The following link jumps straight into his personal gallery:

ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community - AIRMOBILE101's Album: Some pics - Picture

Since nothing running on 12 volts works I would look carefully at the ignition switch and its connections. All 12 volts other than the starter run through this point. Its also possible that a ground has come open on the frame somewhere, so check all those too.

After that you'll need a voltmeter and we can dig deeper.

Old 09-15-2009, 09:09 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just checked that box - it has 5 pins. I also popped the little cap off the bottom of the ignition switch and all 4 wires are cleanly connected.

Thought I would throw this in. No reaction when I pushed the button, no brake light still and when I hit the solenoid, it just cranks, no spark. Here is what it interesting. If I short the solenoid with the kill switch tiggered on the handle bar, after about 7 seconds of cranking, when I turn the kill switch off, I hear what seems to be a short spark/turnover and then its back to cranking???? Doesnt do it all the time, but there seems to be a short fire.

Old 09-16-2009, 09:08 AM
Electrical Expert

A 5 pin CDI is AC powered. Thus I think you have two problems: No spark and the start button doesn't work.

Start Button: It isn't clear after rereading your posts what is meant by no lights. Does your headlight work? You said your tail light isn't working, then later said your brake light isn't working. So which is it? Tail light, Brake light, or both? No lights at all points toward the ignition switch or main fuse. No brake light point to a bad brake switch. The brake switch is part of a safety interlock that keeps you from starting the quad unless the brakes are applied.

No Spark: Unplug the CDI, turn on the ignition, unplug the remote start/stop module if so equiped, and turn off / disengage all the kill switches (handlebar and tether). Measure the resistance of the kill switch pin in the wiring harness to ground. It should be open (infinite resistance). Kill switch problems are the most common cause of no spark, so that's the reason for starting there.

Old 10-04-2009, 10:11 AM
Weekend Warrior
Unhappy Kids Eagle 125 atv won't try to start...need Help !

Hello guys...I need some help.
I don't know anything about fixing motors or atv's.
My kids Eagle atv's battery was not staying charged, so I would always have to jump it with my Jeep. I would also have to use the screwdriver on the 2 posts to get it to start...A pain...Yes. but at least I would get it to work for them...Two months ago they rolled it over around a curve...It shut off and now I can't get it to even try to start..
I hook up the jumper cables and put the screwdriver on the posts...I get sparks and I hear a drain on the jeeps engine...but nothing happens to the atv...Someone help me ! Please....My 3 kids love riding it, and know as their Dad I can't help them....I am frustrated....
Can someone walk me step by step to get this thing going again ?

Old 10-04-2009, 01:29 PM
Electrical Expert

Originally Posted by kandhtoys
...I hook up the jumper cables and put the screwdriver on the posts...I get sparks and I hear a drain on the jeeps engine...but nothing happens to the atv...
By "nothing happens" do you mean the starter doesn't turn at all?

If the starter is not turning then use your jumper cables to connect your jeep directly to the starter motor. Negative goes to the engine frame near the starter, and the positive goes to the starter motor input terminal. Does the starter turn now? This bypasses any bad connections that might be in the wiring to the starter motor, both on the positive side and the ground return.

If the starter still doesn't turn, pull out the spark plug and try again. This makes the engine easier to turn, and also eliminates the possibility that the combustion chamber is filled with fluid.

If the starter still doesn't turn then pull out the starter and jump it outside the engine. If it still doesn't turn then the starter is bad.

Old 10-04-2009, 02:24 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Starter motor input terminal

Yes...The starter does not turn at all.
To bypass it like you suggested... Where do I find the starter motor input terminal to hook the positive jumper cable to ?

Thanks for trying to help me.
Kurt

Old 10-04-2009, 10:23 PM
Electrical Expert

The two posts that you shorted together with the screwdriver to start up the quad are on the starter solenoid. Follow those wires. One of them goes directly to the battery positive terminal. The other goes directly to the starter motor input terminal. It is usually covered up with a rubber boot of some kind which you will have to push out of the way to gain access.

Old 02-06-2017, 09:59 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default Meerkat 50cc quad bike issue

I am having new issue with my sons quad bike not starting,it has been sitting for maybe 3 weeks inactive
When i go to turn it over there is nothing happening,i have brake lights when i try to start it so the safety function is working
When i short out the solenoid it does turn over

What should be the voltage at both large terminals as i have obviously voltage from the battery connection but resistance is open circuit

Old 02-07-2017, 02:41 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 300 Likes on 294 Posts

I think you would have been better starting a new post. However you can get it to turn over on the starter, so the starter is OK. If the solenoid clicks when you press the start button, you have a faulty solenoid. If it doesn't, it could still be faulty, but it could be the start button, the wires to it, or the wires in the safety lock out. You have to start at one end and test the wires to check that lives are live and earths earthed. A wiring diagram and a meter (or test lamp) is needed for this.

Old 02-07-2017, 05:42 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default meerkat 50cc quad bike issue

I have checked the start switch and it is making
when i pull the brake to start there is brake light but no start
When i pull brake and short out the solenoid the quad turns over and would start if i had fully charged battery which i am doing now

The pull switch at the back as the safety is working also

When i push start switch i am not getting 12V at the 2nd point of the solenoid as the first point is straight from battery

Any ideas and could it be faulty solenoid?

Quick Reply: Starter/solenoid question