Chinese Quads Brands such as Jetmoto, Yamoto, Redcat, V-Bike, Hi Bird, and Kazuma

Which would you buy?

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2009, 07:32 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which would you buy?

A few years ago, it was quite difficult to find a clean used ATV for a good price, thus the popularity of the chinese atvs.

Here is a link to a new chinese 300 and a used Honda 250ex. Which would you buy today?

ATV 2002 HONDA 250EX

BMS 300cc Sport ATV

OR how about this one instead of the BMS?

2001 Honda TRX 400EX ATV Quad

Old 09-10-2009, 08:03 PM
Trailblazer

to be honest the chinise quad dealers seem to hype thier quads up alot. I have a jetmoto 200 and from all I read and heard from dealers this was the quad for me . lots of power great handling all the crap they tell you .found out right away that the duability is there but the power and performance and suspension lacked.Aftermarket parts, HA. Even the 200's to 300's are geared for kids to ride. I went out and bought a 2009 suzuki z400 and it is a worlds apart quad. price is too. so if I did it again I would only get a name brand and leave the chinise stuff to the kids and easy trail riders. just my 3 cents. Seth 03

Old 09-10-2009, 08:58 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Easy, 400EX, then 250EX, skip the Chinese quad all together. Heck, for the price of the new one, you could just cough up a bit more and get BOTH Hondas.

Old 09-10-2009, 09:58 PM
Range Rover

I'm not going to bag on the Chinese quads. I was looking at a Jetmoto before I picked up my used 400ex. There's a lot of good people on this board that have Chinese quads. And as long as you're riding, and enjoy what you ride then good on ya! I will say that I think I made the right choice by going with a used Honda, rather than a new Jetmoto, though. I've had a few spills that I don't think a Chinese quad would have survived. 400ex (and 250ex) parts are plentiful and easy to get, and I think most will agree that the overall build quality and durability of Japanese quads is superior.

With the current economy, cheap, clean, used atv's are much easier to find. If it were up to me I'd be looking at the Hondas.

Old 09-10-2009, 11:24 PM
Pro Rider

Being a owner of three MIC's I have to say they have not let me down. I did have some issues with the swing arm and rear axle carrier bolts on one, but they were easy fixes. I bought them expecting break downs though and have been pleasantly surprised with their durability. I have not even had to work the other two except for some adjustments and oil changes. My kids have beaten the 110cc and it still keeps on going.

Old 09-10-2009, 11:42 PM
Pro Rider

Like everything Chinese they are all made a bit different. I found this one here
ROKETA,atv, exercise & fitness,dune buggies,scooter,gokart,dirtbike,moped,utility vehicle,motorcycle,electric&gas scooter,water craft,golf cart,bike,quad,offroad,motorsport,jet, sand rails, moped, snowmobiles,helmet,accessories,generator,porcelain do which again looks a bit different. Packaged up with a different rear swing arm.

I couple years ago on another forum a guy did a review on a quad something like this
Panterra Motorsports - S350CC ATV with the 6 speed trans. but I think it was a 300. The frame was copied from I think Polaris model ?? I can't remember anymore but he had a wipe out and got a steering part from a mainline dealer and it fit right in. Anyway it was built not too bad and had decent suspension and cost $3K or just under.

He was debating if it was the way to go or to buy a used Mainline. Too bad I can't find the darn website anymore it was a good thread.

I went with a used 250sx for the kids on the last quad I bought. Its nice and all for sure. New they are nuts as they want well over $6k for one up here! I paid less than half and its a 2005. So as for resale value you take a beating on the mainlines too sometimes!

You know what's even a better value than a new chinese quad?? A used one! I have seen some smoke'n deals on Chinese quads where someone gets in over their head and bails on it. Pretty soon I will to get another for the 3rd boy as he now has taken an interest it seems. Not sure which way we will go, all depends on how much use it gets. It won't be new I know that mainline or chinese.

These darn MIC quads are frusterating as they got some things right on them but they don't finish them off quite right. I'm sure with how cheap stuff is to make over there it wouldn't add a whole pile to the quad's retail price.

For example a new Honda 250ex was selling for like $6700 up here in the spring which I think over priced. You would think you could manufacture a pretty decent 250-300cc MIC quad for $3000. These prices are Canadian so you would have to adjust them for US prices.

Old 09-11-2009, 09:28 AM
Pro Rider
Lets Ride!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by windtrader
A few years ago, it was quite difficult to find a clean used ATV for a good price, thus the popularity of the chinese atvs.

Here is a link to a new chinese 300 and a used Honda 250ex. Which would you buy today?

ATV 2002 HONDA 250EX

BMS 300cc Sport ATV

OR how about this one instead of the BMS?

2001 Honda TRX 400EX ATV Quad
I would buy a used Honda machine every time over a Chinese toy every time........

My used 2000 Honda Rancher has out lasted two of my neighbors Tractor Supply ATVs from China....... I paid $1800 in 2006 for the Honda, my neighbor paid $2500 each for his Chinese ATVs and neither one works now in 2009. The "light work" he was going to use them for killed both of them beyond repair......

And my Rancher was not exactly in pristine condition, the guy I bought it from used to race it in a local GNCC 4x4 event...... But here we are 3 years later and the thing still runs perfect. The other day I left the key on for like 5 hours...... dead battery..... I yanked the pull starter and it fired up on the 2nd pull. I let it run and now the battery is fine.....

After 30 years of being around ATVs, bikes, trikes etc..... I've learned one major rule that I always follow..... And that is if it doesn't say Honda, Suzuki, Yamaha or Kawasaki on the side of it, I will never buy it.....

Old 09-11-2009, 11:06 AM
Pro Rider

OK fellas. My intention was not to start a chinese ATV bashing thread but rather check the health of the chinese atv market. There has been a huge drop in California engine certifications issued to chinese manufacturers, like to one, kwanguyang, for the 2010 model year. 2007, there were many more at the peak.

For you chinese atv owners, me included, you all may want to really get solid parts and maintenance contacts lined up. Support never was very good, we are seeing more support losses , and it will likely get worse.

Old 09-11-2009, 11:20 AM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by ss97
I would buy a used Honda machine every time over a Chinese toy every time........

My used 2000 Honda Rancher has out lasted two of my neighbors Tractor Supply ATVs from China....... I paid $1800 in 2006 for the Honda, my neighbor paid $2500 each for his Chinese ATVs and neither one works now in 2009. The "light work" he was going to use them for killed both of them beyond repair......

What atv's did he buy for $2500 each and what went wrong with them?

If money is no object I agree of course, I'd have a Can-Am Redegade! Heck I would dump my crapy chevy mini van that I have to constantly fix too for a Porche Cayenne that would make the wife real happy!!

I agree buying a used Honda is a good way to go too as they are built to last. They take such a hit in resale as soon as you drive them off the lot though it really sucks. I know the guy I bought the Honda 250sx was crying what he paid for it and only used it 2 seasons.

Old 09-11-2009, 12:34 PM
Pro Rider

I agree buying a used Honda is a good way to go too as they are built to last. They take such a hit in resale as soon as you drive them off the lot though it really sucks. I know the guy I bought the Honda 250sx was crying what he paid for it and only used it 2 seasons.
Exactly the point. If you are BUYING the used quad, you are getting huge value. Super solid quad for 50% off with 90% of life left in it. A lightly used, well maintained, garaged, Honda beats a new Chinese quad from day one. And two years later, the used Honda would be worth slightly less while the Chinese quad takes the "new car" drive off discount hit and is 50% worn out after two years.

Hey, I have two chinese quads and am happy with the buy because that is what offered the best value two years ago. Times change and now the value is clearly on the side of used major brands.