Chinese Quads Brands such as Jetmoto, Yamoto, Redcat, V-Bike, Hi Bird, and Kazuma

A couple of easy questions.

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2010, 12:48 PM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!
Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnReam
Thank you very very much! You guys are the best!
Your Welcome! Thanks.

Old 02-03-2010, 02:20 PM
Range Rover
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My son's Tao Tao 110 is set up exactly the same as yours. You should find a clip at the base to the cylinder on the left bottom side bottom of the crank case to hold that over flow hose. I looked inside that filter and didn't see an element so I pulled the sylicone plug out so it would vent and drain and left it on.

Old 02-03-2010, 10:41 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yep. My new Taotao 110cc had the exact same white inline fuel filter looking thing on the carb bowl vent line. I left the "filter" in place and snipped a bit off the end since it appeared to be sealed tight, not allowing the bowl to breathe. Oh.. and my oil fill is LESS accessible than that one. I haven't hacked a hole in the footwell yet since it's too new and pretty right now.

Joel

Old 02-04-2010, 07:16 AM
Weekend Warrior

I cut the hole last night, by removing the footwell's 8 screws, then a simple jigsaw cut about 4x4 inch. Looks aok and access to the Oil fill now easy.

Old 02-04-2010, 07:31 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default More easy questions from original poster

Battery - Quick question about the battery in these 110s. I noticed that all the lights (front & rear) actually got brighter as my kid throttles around the yard. Does this mean that somehow the battery is also being re-charged, like a car's alternator? Or do we use the AC battery charger as needed to recharge the battery, and if so for how long?

Idle'ing - When we start the ATV, throttling up for the purpose of just rev'ing the engine does not seem to be possible since the gears engage at any RPM above low idle. Is there a neutral gear setting ?

Oil - I assume I need to change the oil pretty soon, new engine and probably cheap factory oil. Will any oil be ok, such a 10-40W?

Old 02-04-2010, 07:59 AM
Weekend Warrior

Battery - Quick question about the battery in these 110s. I noticed that all the lights (front & rear) actually got brighter as my kid throttles around the yard. Does this mean that somehow the battery is also being re-charged, like a car's alternator? Or do we use the AC battery charger as needed to recharge the battery, and if so for how long?

Idle'ing - When we start the ATV, throttling up for the purpose of just rev'ing the engine does not seem to be possible since the gears engage at any RPM above low idle. Is there a neutral gear setting ?

Oil - I assume I need to change the oil pretty soon, new engine and probably cheap factory oil. Will any oil be ok, such a 10-40W?
I dealt with most of these same issues on a new Tao Tao 125D I bought.

Battery: As long as the starter cranks good and engine starts easily, I think the battery is good. The reason the lights are brighter as engine revs go up is because the lights are AC powered by the stator instead of the battery. My 125D is the same way. Shouldn't be a problem. I throw the trickle charger on it if its going to sit more than a couple days.

Idle: My 125D did the same thing. After several rides, the clutch pack will "seat" or loosen up a bit so the unit wont creep when in gear. Took mine about 4 or 5 hours of riding before it stopped doing that.

Oil: I changed the oil in mine after first warmup. Not sure what kind of oil but my assumption is that it's crappy oil. I use Valvoline 10w-40 motorcycle oil.

Hope this helps and happy riding...

Old 02-04-2010, 08:23 AM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!

I would change it immediately..I dont like the thought of any engine running on Chinese oil. Cant be the best stuff.. I use Valvoline 10wt-40 in all of my air cooled Honda and Chinese 4 strokes.

Old 02-04-2010, 08:24 AM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!

This filter on the vent line? Is it really plugged from the factory? Do they put a filter in the fuel line? Or just a plugged one on the drain line?

Old 02-04-2010, 08:24 AM
Range Rover

Here's $.02

Battery – My son’s 110 lights act the same way. I charged the battery overnight for the first couple of runs when it was new. Since then (3 months ago) I haven’t had to charge it.

Idling – There is no neutral on these mini quads. They have a centrifugal clutch that engages when the engine RPM’s raise above idle. As drknute3 says this will loosen up as the parts brake in.

Oil – Some on this forum say you should change the oil before you ever start the engine; others say you can wait until after brake in. Any oil that is not Energy Conserving, 10-40W or 15-40W should be good. If it says it’s good for motorcycles it’s good for these. Since these quads have a wet clutch (clutch are immersed in the crank case oil) any oil additive that reduces friction more than the standard oil itself will cause the clutch disks to slip.

Some other things you may want to do.

Loctite as many of the nuts and bolts as you can, they have a tendency to rattle loose.

Put a decent spark plug in. Shortly after brake my son’s engine would not idle after reached running temp. Replacing the Chinese plug with an Autolite plug cured this.

QC on these Chinese quads isn’t the same as it is with the big name ones so go over it good at first looking for things like loose nuts & bolts, mal-adjusted or mis-aligned parts (steering & suspension), kinked or unplugged wires, and anything else you can think of. With a little PM they can be a lot of fun.

Good luck & have fun

Old 02-04-2010, 08:25 AM
Range Rover

MWQ they just put the plugged one on the vent line.

Quick Reply: A couple of easy questions.