Chinese Quads Brands such as Jetmoto, Yamoto, Redcat, V-Bike, Hi Bird, and Kazuma

My Tao Tao 110b quads electrical mystery

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2016, 09:51 PM
Trailblazer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default My Tao Tao 110b quads electrical mystery

I took my daughter riding last weekend and small puddles kept stalling her quad. I figured water was getting into the electrical and on the spark plug. I brought it home and decided to liquid electrical tape the ends of the connectors where water could get in. Everything was fine... I got it all back together and it fired up fine, I did have a slight issue with the headlights not turning off. then I heard a little "pop" that came from somewhere around the CDI or rectifier maybe even the remote kill box. DUNNO. but the lights worked fine and ran great. I came out 3 hours later to put it away and NOTHING... won't start or even turn over. I turn the key on, squeeze the brake, hit the ignition and NOTHING. My rear break light won't even come on. I can turn it over crossing the solenoid and my voltage meter says battery is just fine. crossing the starter button does nothing. I have stripped the harness down and there are no visible signs of problems... I even rewrapped all the splicing Tao Tao did. I tried a CDI that I knew was good and even the stock rectifier that I switched out for fun. I have exhausted all the things I could think of and I'm at the point where sitting there looking pi$$ed off isn't doing it or me any good. Does any body have any guesses as to what this could be?

Old 03-15-2016, 03:56 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 300 Likes on 294 Posts

If the machine is totally dead, it is going to be the main wire from battery to ignition switch, or a bad earth. Or a faulty remote kill box could be the problem. You don't mention a fuse, presumably it has one somewhere?

Old 03-15-2016, 08:29 AM
Trailblazer

yes it has a fuse and it's fine. all grounds are clean and secure (the quad is 9 months old) I heard the "pop" or "click" around the CDI or rectifier which is where the remote box is - I suspect that may be the culprit. I've looked at my local online Chinese quad store with no luck.
I get 13v to my Key ignition but nothing at my push button on the handle bars.

Thanx for weighing in. I'll buy a new remote box next

Old 03-15-2016, 09:50 AM
Super Quad Patrol
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

pull the black with white trace wire out of the cdi. that is the kill switch wire. also u have to remember the import quads everything important is in a bad spot so its easy to get wet

Old 03-15-2016, 06:20 PM
Trailblazer

Thanx for responding ZROCK I pulled the black & white wire on my 5 pin CDI (on my kids quad it's the only one in the middle of the 5 pins) I know this on well because at on time I wasn't getting spark and thats the on I F'd with and it worked. This time though I still don't get any thing.

Old 03-15-2016, 09:02 PM
Trailblazer

Thanx for your help but the problem was in the connections from the kill switch at the front brake. At least I found out what a wiring mess these Chinese quads are.

Old 03-16-2016, 09:41 AM
Super Quad Patrol
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

I pulled my harness apart and redid all the solder connections and sealed them up..

Old 03-16-2016, 05:23 PM
Trailblazer

That's a great tip everybody should know. Almost as important as LOCKTITE on every nut and bolt.

Thanx for your help