Chinese Quads Brands such as Jetmoto, Yamoto, Redcat, V-Bike, Hi Bird, and Kazuma

compression release?

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2016, 01:44 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question compression release?

Will someone please tell me why i have no compression release? very hard to pull start, and starter struggles to turn engine over. I'm an old man and would very much like to use my electric start. I have a baja wilderness trail 250cc (2006) i believe.

Thanks in advance,
Big Bob

Old 11-01-2016, 03:58 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is your starter new or old (if older it may be drawing too many amps)? My Scrambler 400 is tough to pull over with the rope as well, but the starter handles it no problem...

Old 11-02-2016, 02:56 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 301 Likes on 295 Posts

Many modern engines have an automatic decompressor built into the cam which lifts the exhaust valve when the engine is turned slowly but cuts out when revs increase. Some simply have a long dwell on the exhaust cam. However a 250 may be judged as not big enough to need it. A bad earth or battery terminal may make the starter run slowly, as can a faulty starter, slipping starter clutch or tired battery. Check all those heavy wires to earth and starter for poor connections first, then, if possible, try a fully charged battery that you know to be good. If the starter still struggles, you could have a faulty starter or clutch. Though occasionally you can get an engine made with higher compression or slightly advanced ignition, which will always be a difficult starter.

Old 11-02-2016, 06:32 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks guys, I will check it out and let you know what i find.
Big Bob