Chinese Quads Brands such as Jetmoto, Yamoto, Redcat, V-Bike, Hi Bird, and Kazuma

taotao ATA150-A main fuse blows

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2016, 01:41 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default taotao ATA150-A main fuse blows

Hi,
I have an Taotao ATA150-A quad and it's been running good for almost a year and now it keeps blowing the main fuse. I am very familiar with ac and dc circuits and very familiar with automotive electrical circuits. I have been trouble shooting in my spare time and have it narrowed down to it blowing as soon as the brake switch is engaged. I am getting close but figured I would if maybe someone is familiar with a common problem with these machines. I am not an ATV expert but I sure can use a meter. Thanks

Old 12-14-2016, 09:19 AM
Super Quad Patrol
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

check your taillight for shorting out when brake is applied. Have had that happen to one of mine

Old 12-14-2016, 10:36 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks, I will check the brake and let you know what I find!

Old 12-29-2016, 07:29 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default Taillight Shorted Out

Zrock,
You were spot on with the taillight it was the cause of the fuse blowing!
Now I have it cranking but it will not run unless I spray starting fluid into the carb. I have done all the obvious like cleaned the air filter, cleaned and gapped the plug, checked the fuel filter and ect. The name plate calls for 90 plus octane but I have been running it on 87 for a year now. I was unaware it requires premium. I was going to pull the carb and clean it out.
A shot of starting fluid will get it running but cuts out soon after. The choke is working. Any ideas?

Thanks

Old 12-29-2016, 09:26 AM
Super Quad Patrol

iv had better luck using a squirt bottle with fuel in it. then i can keep it running with the squirt bottle for a few min.. I have had a few that have gotten air locked and that was the only way i could get the air out.

Old 01-04-2017, 01:42 PM
Weekend Warrior

Hey Zrock,
Thanks for all your help! I tried feeding it gas with a spray bottle but no luck so I took the carb apart to check for dirt and found the needle valve rubber tip had disintegrated and wasn't allowing fuel into the bowl.
This taotao 150 only has Jin Wei stamped on the carb. I was looking online and see a lot of no name 27mm carbs for less than 15 bucks are these a good fit? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I am more than able to rebuild this little guy if need be so even if you know where I can get a needle valve would be a big help! Thanks so much

Old 01-04-2017, 01:46 PM
Super Quad Patrol

Do yourself a favor and spend the few extra $ and get a mikuni carb. way better carb parts are easy to get and it's offered as a upgrade on these little machines

Old 01-06-2017, 10:02 AM
Weekend Warrior

Zrock,
Thanks again I measured the old carb and think a Mikuni VM22 is the correct model. My only question is about the choke. I have a cable type choke but most of the Mikuni's have a lever type. Will I be able to swap the choke linkage or do I need to find a Mikuni with a cable type choke?
Thanks again for all your help
Man if you lived close by I would bye you a beer!

Old 01-06-2017, 10:10 AM
Super Quad Patrol

I would just eliminate the cable and go with the lever on side of carb... less things to go wrong

Old 01-20-2017, 09:33 AM
Weekend Warrior

Zrock,
This quad is running better than ever! Thanks for all your help I really appreciate it