Chinese Quads Brands such as Jetmoto, Yamoto, Redcat, V-Bike, Hi Bird, and Kazuma

Need kill switch help

Old 04-19-2018, 07:22 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need kill switch help

So have two Chinese at 110cc with the left hand controls that has the start button and lights and the kill button on them.

the kill button will not work. The atv will start and run with no issue. The brake lock out and key work.

my question is can I add a new kill button if so how do I do this.....

I tried unpluging the ground on the coil and grounding it to the frame atv still runs....only way I can shut it down it taking off the positive from the coils or choking it out....
..so debating on just putting a switch on the positive side of the coil to use as a kill switch

Old 04-20-2018, 01:59 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 300 Likes on 294 Posts

First off are they AC CDIs. If they are there should be a wire goes from it to ignition switch, usually black with white tracer. This ether needs to be earthed to kill, or earthed to run, all you need is a switch in that circuit.

DC CDIs need a positive wire from ignition switch to run, so if the CDI is disconnected from the battery (normally through ignition switch), the bike will stop.

DO NOT DISCONNECT THE CDI MAIN EARTH LEAD or you can blow the CDI.

Old 04-20-2018, 03:34 AM
Weekend Warrior

So in this photo where the whote piece of plastic is there is a yellow and red wire on theblrft side a green in the middle (assuming ground) then on the 3 spot that wire goes and connects to the red yellow. Together as one wore head to the cdi.

So the kill positions are either left or right on the switch snd run is when the switch is in the middle.

The switch will not kill will only run.....how do i fix that

It' a 5 pin cdi so I think then it' the first one

the black and white wore on the cdi doesn' that look after the lock outs....like the brakes needs to be pulled and such to work?

so if it'' is this type then I need to temporarily ground that wire to shut the bike down?

Old 04-21-2018, 02:12 AM
Elite Pro Rider

"the black and white wore on the cdi doesn' that look after the lock outs....like the brakes needs to be pulled and such to work? so if it'' is this type then I need to temporarily ground that wire to shut the bike down?"

There may be exceptions but on most CDIs the black/white is the kill wire, nothing to do with lockouts, which are more for the starter circuit than ignition anyway. Like I wrote earlier, some are earth to kill, some earth to run, only way to find out which, is to try it.

Old 04-21-2018, 02:36 AM
Weekend Warrior

OK so what wire in the controller am I touching to ground or where to live to try and make a kill switch

thanks

looking at just ordering new controls too....

Old 04-22-2018, 01:45 AM
Elite Pro Rider

That photo you put up doesn't show a black/white wire, which could indicate the CDI is DC. Take a look at the CDI. Does it have a black/white wire coming out? If it has, try grounding it. If the bike won't spark with it grounded, but does when it isn't grounded, you can wire a kill switch in there. Same applies if the kill wire works the opposite way.

If there is no black/white wire from CDI and only 4 wires on it, one of them should have live battery power from ignition, the ignition switch should cut power on this wire, if it doesn't, wire it so it does. No need for a separate kill switch if turning the ignition switch off kills the spark.

Old 04-22-2018, 10:03 AM
Super Quad Patrol
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

have you tryed cleaning that switch? It looks pretty rusted up and probably unable to make contact. Also looks like its missing something to trip the contact to trip the contact.