Chinese Quads Brands such as Jetmoto, Yamoto, Redcat, V-Bike, Hi Bird, and Kazuma

Unknown atv (gy6 150) rear reverse gear box fluid/grease/sludge?

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2018, 03:17 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Unknown atv (gy6 150) rear reverse gear box fluid/grease/sludge?

Hey there all so I picked up a super cheap Chinese ATV (obviously) with a gy6 150, the engine looks nothing like the newer gy6’s so I would put it at probably 10-15 years old, no idea what brand it is but anyways.

was going through changing all the fluids when I get to the rear hub/reverse gear box. I go to change the “fluid” in it expecting gear oil and I get the bolt out, nothing happens, I think well **** it’s dry, when all of a sudden it starts slowly pooping out this greenish, what I can only describe as) sludge.

I’m guessing because it’s open vented it was at one time gear oil and now the moisture has killed it and turned it to a sludge, I wasn’t sure if it’s grease or not though or if it is intact gear oil so I’m hoping maybe someone here can help or atleast convince me to get it out and just put gear oil in it lol. Pictures for assistance

This is the reverse hub/gearbox
This is the sludge

Old 07-28-2018, 09:48 AM
Super Quad Patrol
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

I doubt it would be any type of grease as that would not get into the bearings when it was pumped in... Id put some solvent or similar in their spin the tires up to move it around and dump it and fill with some gear oil..

Old 08-07-2018, 10:09 AM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by Zrock
I doubt it would be any type of grease as that would not get into the bearings when it was pumped in... Id put some solvent or similar in their spin the tires up to move it around and dump it and fill with some gear oil..

Alright sounds good, any suggestions on how much to fill it? The drain plug is on top so it’s hard to tell as it’s not a fill until it drains out plug. It’s vented to the atmosphere though so if I put too much in will it really matter?

Old 03-16-2019, 09:24 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Have the same issue help help

I’m
Originally Posted by Pezgoon
Hi I’m having the same issue. I need help the gear box did you figure out the oil type an an basically how to change it out. Plz help
Oil type

Alright sounds good, any suggestions on how much to fill it? The drain plug is on top so it’s hard to tell as it’s not a fill until it drains out plug. It’s vented to the atmosphere though so if I put too much in will it really matter?

Old 03-16-2019, 10:15 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by Stevan Gonzolez
Originally Posted by Pezgoon
Hi I’m having the same issue. I need help with the gear box did you figure out the oil type an an basically how to change it out. Plz help
Oil type

Yes i did, I drained out the “sludge” from the drain hold on the bottom of the gearbox, ran some clean gear fluid through it (literally just poured it through it trying to rinse out some of the stuff)

then refilled it to above the gears I believe? Just kinda winged it. Drove it for a bit (maybe a few miles worth) then drained and refilled again while hot

just used gear fluid from WalMart w75-90 weight or there abouts

Old 03-30-2019, 08:10 AM
Weekend Warrior

I just bought an atv for 100. I had no idea what it was now after searching I have found what it is. Its a Chinese quad with no plastics. I have the same rear axle as this. Did you get the reverse to work if so how?

Old 02-10-2020, 03:17 PM

I have the same atv gy6 150

as you. I would like to know if you would be able to tell me how I could do to find out how to order the left cover of the gear box? I made arrow red for cover

Old 07-30-2020, 10:29 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Found unit

Maybe this will help, I am working on a FUSHIN 150 with this axle. Trying to find a cable to connect to shift lever. I found this site showing that axle, don't know if it will help anyone but here it is: https://www.scootercatalog.com/atv-r...e-reverse.html

Last edited by Mark Goerlitz; 07-30-2020 at 10:34 PM. Reason: Add picture
Old 06-07-2023, 03:19 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Chinese atv axle

Any chance someone has found parts for this type of axle assembly