Chinese Quads Brands such as Jetmoto, Yamoto, Redcat, V-Bike, Hi Bird, and Kazuma

GIO Atv Kill Switch Issue

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2018, 03:40 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GIO Atv Kill Switch Issue

Hi I'm new to forum for posting but have done a lot of research using this site for a few years.

I have 3 GIO atvs all with the exact same problem. All the quads have power, all crank over, all safety switches seem to be working. The issue is all 3 units will not fire. The quads will turn over with the kill switch in the on as well as in the off position. I have swapped out multiple parts. One unit has a brand new complete wiring harness, stator etc. Still same issue. Very frustrated. I've fixed lots of these bikes but this issue does not seem to have been posted. Could there be an issue with a battery that has reverse polarity?

Please help. I would like to get these out the door before winter.

Old 09-10-2018, 02:47 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 301 Likes on 295 Posts

You don't actually state if the bikes produce sparks or not at the plug, have you checked? The kill switch does not have to be connected to the starter circuit, many are not, it is the ignition switch that should both kill the spark and switch off the battery live, which prevents starter, lights, horn, etc, from being used with the key removed.

Old 09-10-2018, 07:48 PM
Weekend Warrior

Hey merryman there is good spark with the plug touching the engine block on all three units. What baffles me is the kill switch should not allow the engine to rotate in the off position. It's a safety or an alternate shutoff just like on a sled or full size atv. One is a 50cc the other two are 110cc. The one with the new harness, stator or full electrical replacement was my first one with this issue. I've tried swapping regulators, cdi units etc (working units) with no change. New batteries too. I adjusted the valves on that unit also. It just cranks and cranks until you kill the battery after playing long enough. Ignitions work as well. I gotta be missing something. Could I have three dead kill switch units? One is brand new.

Old 09-10-2018, 07:54 PM
Weekend Warrior

Seems more like a cdi issue not allowing a circuit to close/open to allow the atv to fire. I've tried running a new wire as a replacement for the black and white wire from the kill switch to the cdi to eliminate the possibility of a broke wire. No luck.

Q. Is there a way to bypass the tether switch to test them?

Old 09-11-2018, 01:48 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 301 Likes on 295 Posts

If you have a good spark, the problem is not electrical, it is either compression or carburettor. The kill switch is to stop the engine producing a spark, that is it, nothing to do with the starter circuit. On some bikes, yes the kill wire stops the starter from turning as well as killing the spark, but this is neither necessary, nor particularly useful.

Old 09-12-2018, 09:44 AM
Super Quad Patrol
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

Agree you have a fuel issue if you have spark... I would start with a full cleaning of carbs sounds like they are delivering no fuel at all.. If they were delivering fuel you should at least get a backfire at some point. Im assuming that you got these machines from the same deal. More than likely they have been sitting and the fuel has evaporated and left varnish and crud plugging the jets solid