Chinese Quads Brands such as Jetmoto, Yamoto, Redcat, V-Bike, Hi Bird, and Kazuma

No spark - New stator installed

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2021, 08:30 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No spark - New stator installed

Question Tao Tao start issue no sparkI hope I am asking this question in the correct forum. After browsing several posts and performing prescribed tests my ATV still has no spark or so it seem. Could someone please help with this problem, thanks in advance.

ATV Tao Tao 125cc Quad April 2014. VIN:L5NAAHTJ 8 E10050401

1) Initial issue was battery was not receiving a charge, however, the bike did start and would run well till the battery ran down.

I chose to replace the stator with a new one, now I don’t have spark.
1) Kill switch checks good
2) Removed Kill Sw. pin from CDI connector tried to start but still no joy.

Ohm Test at CDI connector plug
1) AC Ignition Coil. - 313 ohm
2) Timing Triger - 112 ohm

3) AC Ignition Power 39 ACV
4) Timing Trigger AC not detectable with Volt meter, however, I could see that the meter was detecting a voltage and hunting to lock onto a voltage.

Testing CDI
1) Ohmic reading across Ignition Coil Pin to Ground Pin on CDI - 313 ohm ( from what I gathered here on forum it should be less than 1 ohm.
2) Ignition Coil ACV output measured 50-60 with CDI plugged in. Please Note: when I touched the Chassis Gnd. the bike started and somehow ran for perhaps 30-40 seconds then shut down and turned off

Old 10-27-2021, 04:09 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 305 Likes on 299 Posts

"when I touched the Chassis Gnd. the bike started and somehow ran for perhaps 30-40 seconds then shut down and turned off"

Don't know what you mean by that, but a good earth for the CDI and ignition coil is vital. You can burn out the CDI if it doesn't have one. Extremely low voltage on trigger coil is suspicious, OK some have less than 1v but on a lot of little engines 4v or so is more common. May be worth checking the mounting for it on new stator is not bent, giving a big air gap.

Old 10-27-2021, 06:51 AM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by merryman
"when I touched the Chassis Gnd. the bike started and somehow ran for perhaps 30-40 seconds then shut down and turned off"

Don't know what you mean by that, but a good earth for the CDI and ignition coil is vital. You can burn out the CDI if it doesn't have one. Extremely low voltage on trigger coil is suspicious, OK some have less than 1v but on a lot of little engines 4v or so is more common. May be worth checking the mounting for it on new stator is not bent, giving a big air gap.
Thank you Merryman for getting back to me.
What happened I don’t understand myself but will try to explain:
Note “Testing CDI”
2)I was cranking the engine and testing the voltage received by the CDI Ignition coil terminal (CDI Connected); with positive probe from voltmeter attached to IGN.Coil terminal and touching chassis ground with Neg. (while cranking engine) probe the bike suddenly started running voltage fluctuated between 50 to 60 ACvolts (the engine suddenly started up when probe touched chassis ground) and the bike ran for a few seconds 30 or 40 and died just as suddenly. I have never seen anything like that before.
I will check the position of the stator as you suggested. From what I could see the MagPickup coil position is fixed and not adjustable as well as the low and high voltage coils. I’m also going to check that the CDI ground is good.
On a side note: the dike did run just fine before I messed with the old Stator because it wasn’t charging the battery so I decided to replace that Stator.so I didn’t have to keep charging the battery every time. Now I’ve created a monster by the looks of it.
Again thank you for your help.

Old 12-04-2022, 11:21 AM
Scooter Delivery

I have a 2014 Tao Tao 50cc scooter with a big bore kit. I replaced the stator because the scooter would take a long time to start, it would crank and turn but took a long time to start.

Replaced the stator, has the exact same problem as you, it would start but would not charge the battery. So I ordered another stator with 8 poles, but not the right number of wires, threw it in there and it crank but no start.

Found out that there are different incompatible stators that fit the scooter. So I got the exact same stator 8 poles, 5 wires, correct connector....the scooter cranks but no spark.

Then I remembered something....the second time I installed the new stator (8 poles wrong number of wires) I used blue thread locker on all stator bolts, I did the same with the correct replacement stator.....so I'm wondering if the stator is grounded to the engine block through the bolts, all thread lockers are insulators, so maybe the stator isn't grounded correctly because of the thread lockers.

Old 12-04-2022, 05:26 PM
Scooter Delivery

Update....

I removed the magneto and removed the 8 pole stator with the correct number of wires and correct connector.

I cleaned all bolts that hold the stator with a wire brush and then cleaned the bolt holes. I also cleaned the bolt holes on the stator itself. Also, there appears to be a flat piece of metal over one of the stator bolt holes that IS NOT laminated, nearly every metal piece of the stator has plastic lamination over it EXCEPT for this piece of metal, I think it's how the stator connects to ground.

So I took some sand paper and cleaned this piece of metal. I also cleaned all metal surfaces on the scooter engine that makes contact with the stator.

Finally, I reinstalled the stator, and now I have spark!!!