Club News and Events Share information about ATV clubs, club activities and membership, ATV events, etc.

Club membership

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2008, 04:44 PM
Pro Rider
Urges all riders to join ATV clubs and become part of a united front to maintain and expand trail systems.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Club membership

How do ATV clubs attract new members? There's a huge growing number of ATV'ers that is not reflected in membership roles. The ATV club in my area went belly up, because of lack of members. They had thousands of dollars in state grant money, but only a few hard working types participated in trail maintenance and expansion work. So, the snowmobile club agreed to take over the work, and the grants, and became an ATV-Snowmobile club. But the club members are almost entirely snowmobilers. We need new members, especially younger types who will help with the ATV-related work.

I'd like to hear from any clubs that have had success in signing up ATV'ers. Would having booths at county fairs, gun shows, hunting dog trails and other outdoor events be effective?

Old 09-29-2008, 04:33 PM
Pro Rider
Urges all riders to join ATV clubs and become part of a united front to maintain and expand trail systems.
Default Club membership

It looks like club membership is a topic that attracts very little interest. That could at least partly explain why we see so many postings on this site about trails being closed and so few about new trails being opened. ATV'ing needs more organized support.

Old 09-29-2008, 09:34 PM
Pro Rider
Default Club membership

I hear ya.. There are not many willing to get involved. It is easier for many to just ride and bitch about why they can't ride legally and just keep doing what they are doing.

I belong to a couple clubs. I was just at a work party the other weekend doing maintenance on the trail system we have.
I think a lot of people either just don't care or don't' think they have the time. ATV'ing has become a large part of my life so I have made the time to write to papers, call senators, legislators, attend work party's and other ATV orientated events, and ride when I can- sure I wish I could ride every weekend..but I can't. I try to encourage people to purchase atv's, it is truly a great family orientated sport. I get pissed off when I'm somewhere (like last saturday night) and see morons on ATV's giving the sport (ME) a bad name. Ripping up and down the road w/ no helmet on, 8pm..

Over at Northeastatvers we were doing a fundraiser for a lobbyist to fight against a bill that would make it illegal for children 14 and under to ride ATV's/Dirtbikes in the state of MA. Even though over 1,000 people belong to the site, only 10-15 donated money. Granted not all are from MA, but it just is a good example how many would rather just ride and not get involved unless it directly affects them right NOW...Don't get me wrong there is a great bunch of people there but many like to see instant results.
you can donate $50 and hope it helps, or you can put $50 in your quad and go riding all weekend... instant gratification.

I wish it wasn't that way.

Old 09-29-2008, 11:23 PM
Trailblazer
Default Club membership

I would be glad to join an ATV club I could only find a couple in my area and they are 2 hours away. ATV clubs are few and far between. I am in north carolina

Old 10-01-2008, 01:41 PM
Pro Rider
Default Club membership

It's ironic that the best trail systems are almost always located far away from population centers (and potential club members.) WW has it right. ATV'ers who make time to travel to those trail systems should also make time to help the clubs that maintain those systems.

Sorry to sound so preachy, but our sport needs the support that comes from organizations with substantial membership roles. I haven't been a club member all that long myself, but I can tell you that working with other ATV'ers has added a new dimension of enjoyment to my trail riding.

Old 01-14-2009, 03:03 AM
Trailblazer
Default Club membership

We started BMAC 9 months ago, supported by VASA (Vt ATV Sportsman Asso.) We were very small the 1st two months. But, I put out flyers all over the county. I wrote articles to the local weekly papers and made sure our meetings were in all the Community Events sections of all State and local daily and weekly newspapers.

We held a Poker Run 4 months after start-up and had 38+ show in real lousy weather. I got an e-mail list going and a blog, sent out practically 3-4 emails a week with pictures keeping everyone updated on our trails and what we were doing. It drew people in. By the end of summer we had 70 members. In Oct. we held the "Last Hoorah" a Fall Foliage ride and Pig Roost. Over 100 people showed up. A beautiful day and everyone rode all day on the Mountain.

Any trail breaking, cleanup after a storm we averaged 15-20 on various days not always the same people.

The important thing is communication and being organized as a club. As for trail work, if they know what's going on, where and what to do, some will show up during the week after work. Some have days off during the week, others Sat. or Sun. But, like I said the important thing is being able to let them know. The club VP has a list of members that don't have email so they get phone calls letting them know about trail work or rides, events.

In organizing a club, the officers and trail patrol have to be dedicated to spending alot of time getting the club started and then progressing.

All our members like doing a little trail work, then take time to just ride for a few hours. Some have handicaps but they help with being a go-fer, helping to transport tools (they usually have Rangers or Rhinos) then some make snacks to bring out to the work crews and just be there to do a little or offer expert advice.

It's all about a love of atving, great comradery and really good communication.

Old 02-05-2009, 07:26 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Club membership

we have the same problem in my club. our club was mainly for hunting but our land owners have allowed us ride atvs. we gaind members from going to sportsmen shows also if your club allows you to bring guest on your club its a good way to show people what you have to offer. keep your chin up and think positive

Old 02-28-2009, 07:08 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Club membership

Thanks for the ideas gang, been thinking of starting a club here in Mid MI, and thinking of having the dues just be doing a few hours of trail maintance. Checking with the DNR right now for permits etc...[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]