Drivetrain, Suspension & Tires Discussions on ATV drivetrain, suspension, and tires.

Claws & new wheels or Outlaws and a lift?

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2000, 11:02 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Basically I'm pondering getting 27" Tri/Bi claws and some rims or getting some 28" Outlaws and a lift. Here are the concerns, the price is close.

The Bi claws up front will turn better and weigh less.

How much will the lift hurt the quads stability? I ride more in the woods and hills than the mud really, though its fun to play in mud too.

How bad will the 28x10.5 Outlaws steer?

Is the extra ground clearance from the Outlaws worth the lesser stability of the higher center of gravity from the lift?

The Claws will ride better easily according to Highlifter. Which will be the better traction tire in dirt, leaves, and rocks? Which will wear better on hardpack?

Lots of things to consider here, and a lot of questions. These are the only two tires I am considering so I'm not really looking for fine points of other tires. If anyone has Outlaws already, what are they like? 10.5 weighs 31lbs. and 12 weighs 41 according to Highlifter. I don't really want to bog down the engine too much, but a little isn't any prob with extra traction and clearance.

Also, anyone with a lift and 27 or 28 inch tires, I really would like to know how that has affected your quads stability and how much easier it might make it to flipping over sideways or backwards either one.

Thanks a ton, and sorry this was so long.

Old 05-27-2000, 12:04 AM
Trailblazer

hey andy
i have 27" bi/triclaws on my 00 450s foreman. they are a great mud tire. the bike is not tippsy with them eaither but i do not have a lift. i did not want to take the chance of tearing up my front end . i have heard some hororr stories on here about the lifts and beaking front shafts. i have my stock tires on my bike now beacuse it has not rained in a long time down here and even the swamps are drying up. the claws do ride a little rough on hard dirt . in my opinion the extra lift from 28" and a lift kit is not worth tearing up your bike over. i am not trying to make up your mind for you i am only saying what went through my head before buying my tires. the claws are great tires and i have run through some deep mud with them where vamps were stuck.
good luck with your choice,

Old 05-27-2000, 01:30 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Thanks, thats just what I want to hear. Opinions from people that have this stuff.

Old 05-27-2000, 03:12 AM
Pro Rider

Muddiver-what bikes were running the 28" Vamps that got stuck where you went thru with 27's. They got stuck and you passed by the same spot after they got out. Is that correct, or did I misunderstand?
Thanks

Old 05-27-2000, 09:39 AM
Trailblazer

Muddiver didn't say they were running 28" Vamps, just that they were Vamps. As far as that goes, I've gone through places with my Mudrunners that have had Vamps stuck also. How? I don't know...maybe I had a better track, but I still made it. As for lift kits, Highlifter claims that their kit is "machined specifically for proper angles". I'm sure they've done a lot of research and "stress tests" for their stuff. I think the folks that had the most trouble with front end breakage were using homemade lifts. They're easy enough to make, but some folks get carried away and want as much height as they can get. I haven't seen many, if any, complaints from HL owners. Lift kits do make a difference though.