Drivetrain, Suspension & Tires Discussions on ATV drivetrain, suspension, and tires.

best tire for MX

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2003, 03:49 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default best tire for MX

Right now I have a MX grooved radial and 18 inch Turf Tamers....I love rmy Tamers, but my fronts were basically being used for flattrack racing....I hear Holeshot had some sweet tires for MX...Whats your opinions on a good MX tire. My fronts suck when its very muddy, they make me work it too hard to steer and basically "push" the mud and have not much control over where I want them to go....I have a 400ex Ill be running them on.. Thanks !! Tina [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 10-04-2003, 02:18 PM
Trailblazer
Default best tire for MX

I've read reviews about the Kenda claws mxr (rear) and mxf (front) and they prove to be the best mx tire above the ITP holeshot and maxxis razr according to a test in atv sport magizine. They are also the cheapest mx tire at about 40 bucks each from rockymountainatv.com
Someone else I know tried these tires out and liked them alot but said they were a little soft and wore a little bit quicker than some other tires. If you think about it though it wouldn't matter because they're half the price of other mx tires. Lastly I know dana creech runs these tires and says that he'll keep using them until kenda or someone else comes out with something better

Old 10-04-2003, 11:18 PM
Pro Rider
Default best tire for MX

Originally posted by: dsheola
I've read reviews about the Kenda claws mxr (rear) and mxf (front) and they prove to be the best mx tire above the ITP holeshot and maxxis razr according to a test in atv sport magizine. They are also the cheapest mx tire at about 40 bucks each from rockymountainatv.com
Someone else I know tried these tires out and liked them alot but said they were a little soft and wore a little bit quicker than some other tires. If you think about it though it wouldn't matter because they're half the price of other mx tires. Lastly I know dana creech runs these tires and says that he'll keep using them until kenda or someone else comes out with something better
Thanks for your reply! one of our local pro riders said that he persoally didnt like them due to too much bite to them on our tracks here .........Hos do the holeshots work? I hated my Razrs and would run my Radials before a Razr on a motorcross track personally. They work great on our Trails,but not our tracks....So, which Hoeshots are rated good?????? Thanks again//TINA

Old 10-05-2003, 10:12 PM
Trailblazer
Default best tire for MX

I'm running holeshots now... i feel they slide too much or not enough on my 400ex nothing in between... i'm going to buy a set of kenda mx tires soon because the track i mainly ride at is usually muddy and they proved in the article to perform well in the mud

how do you like your turf tammers? i was also considering them but grooved a little

Old 10-05-2003, 11:53 PM
Pro Rider
Default best tire for MX

Originally posted by: dsheola
I'm running holeshots now... i feel they slide too much or not enough on my 400ex nothing in between... i'm going to buy a set of kenda mx tires soon because the track i mainly ride at is usually muddy and they proved in the article to perform well in the mud

how do you like your turf tammers? i was also considering them but grooved a little
I love my Turf tamers, but I am planning on grooving them as well...

Old 10-06-2003, 01:16 AM
Trailblazer
Default best tire for MX

Have you or anyone you know tried the GBC shredder tire? they look like a cheaper version of a holeshot... does titan or carlisle make the turf tammer...? i've seen them listed by both company's

thanks!

Old 10-06-2003, 01:24 AM
Pro Rider
Default best tire for MX

Shredders are a very soft tire,they are a great performer,but keep in mind they are very soft. the Turf Tamers are made by Carlisle..........Tina [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 10-06-2003, 02:52 PM
Pro Rider
Default best tire for MX

I'm running the Holeshot Mx 20x6x9 on mine right now. I wanted to take the easy way to lower my rappy a little. I like the end result, but I have to say I think that they tend to tuck under a little to easily causing some tippy results. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] I think I may have been better off with the 21" fronts, but all I have to compare it too was the bald front stockers. Anyway tread wise, I'm pleased with them. I think they grab well. If anything I'd say with the lower profile they tend to "grab" alittle too much causing me to tip. But again I don't really have much else to compare to.

Old 10-13-2003, 08:42 PM
Trailblazer
Default best tire for MX

I took your advice and bought a set of turf tammers on bealock rims ... i love them! no under roll with the rims and the tires hook up when u want and slide when you want. i got the 17's tho which are kinda small but i feel they dropped my gearing down a little which is nice for the corners especially!

got any suggestions for fronts?

Old 10-14-2003, 03:05 AM
Pro Rider
Default best tire for MX

SWEET!!!!!!! What kind of beadlocks did you get?????I never knew there was a 17 inch ..Glad you like them[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] I treid a holeshot front a few dats ago..MUCH better on the track than my radials for sure.... Im still going to explore a few sets if I can get my hands on some before buying any. Ive bought 14 sets of tires this past 18 months and I dont want to have to buy and sell anymore for awhile.....LOL.......

Quick Reply: best tire for MX