Drivetrain, Suspension & Tires Discussions on ATV drivetrain, suspension, and tires.

mudlite lifespan

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2004, 11:57 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default mudlite lifespan

I read that the mudlite doesn't wear very well, just wondering what the life expectancy of them is. I am looking at getting a set of 26" dirtdevils or bearclaws, considering mudlites because I found some for cheap. Anybody with these tires please post how many miles you got on them and how they look.
Thanks.

Old 03-22-2004, 12:19 PM
Pro Rider
Default mudlite lifespan

1wook. I have a set of 26 inch MudLites and I noticed yesterday while riding there was chunking on the tread. Right where the V ends on the center tread, it was about 1 inch to 2 inch pieces missing and I only have at the time I noticed 112 miles on them. They worked great in the mud and rocks and I did not have problems with chunking in those conditions but the last 2 trips we have been riding on frozen rivers and and I think the sharp edges of the ice was cutting the tread while spinning. The tire is 6ply but I do not think the tread is, as it is realy flexible and somewhat of a sticky compound.

I ran a set of Bear Claws for a long time and did not have this problem and I recomend them to people as I know the performance of the tire and how it wears.

I do not think I can recomend the MudLites after seeing what was happening with the tire after so few miles. I want to put alot more miles on it this summer and see if the tire holds up and then pass further judgement.

If this is an isolated issue because of the ice I can live with it and just limit my river riding but how will the tire hold up now that pieces are missing, will it continue to fall apart? AlaskaBoy.

Old 03-23-2004, 03:19 AM
Pro Rider
Default mudlite lifespan

I have about the same on mine and I can't see any wear at all yet. They look new. I haven't done any spinning on ice though, so that's a plus. hard to get away from ice where you are I imagine. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 03-24-2004, 03:54 PM
Trailblazer
Default mudlite lifespan

Ran the 25" Mud Lites on my Grizzly last year without any sign of accelerated wear but did have a flat in each of my front tires that I had to plug. I was very happy with there performance and have just put a set of 26" Mud Lites on.

Old 03-24-2004, 08:54 PM
Pro Rider
Default mudlite lifespan

I just did my first ride this past Sunday with my 26" mudlites. It was an extremely rocky trail as all the dirt and mudd was washed away. They were much rougher than my stock dunflops and beat me near to death, but the handling is so much better. I climbed up and down some pretty nasty rock hills and over some yucky sharp edged stuff all day and cant see one single chunk missing. It is a softer compound and will probably wear a tad faster, but I dont think I ride enough to even care.

Old 03-25-2004, 04:41 PM
Trailblazer
Default mudlite lifespan

I have 400 miles on mine, with a mixed bag of riding situations. I've ridden on pavement, in snow, ice, mud, and some really sharp rocks. I seen no sign of wear yet, and am not having problems with the rubber coming off. I'm very pleased with them so far.