Drivetrain, Suspension & Tires Discussions on ATV drivetrain, suspension, and tires.

to lift or not to lift

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2004 | 09:38 PM
|
Weekend Warrior
Default to lift or not to lift

i have an 03 650 prairie which i would like to lift and put on some 28s.i have doubts about it now because of the stories about axles popping out and cvs breaking in deep mud.is it a good ideal to lift or see if the 28s will fit without it.thanks for the help.

Old 06-09-2004 | 11:58 AM
Pro Rider

IMO, you are correct, to question a lift... there are several used ones for sale, look on most of the ATV forums for sale areas, & they are there... 1" - 2" is the maximum lift, & yes there are axel CV problem associated with a lift... if you are doing only mudding, & never put your quad, in a situation, where the suspension is either fully compressed, or fully extended, under power, you may be OK with one... otherwise, I wouldn't...

yes most 28" tires will go right on a Prairie with out problems... a tire with large sidewall lugs ( like an Outlaw), may require wheel spacers or wider off set rims, to run a 12" wide rear , with out rubbing the gas tank shield...

Old 06-10-2004 | 02:25 AM
Pro Rider

Even 4x4 trucks experience u-joint problems when lifted, and a lift on a truck with relatively long driveshafts only increases the angle a few degrees. Consider what change of angle a super short quad driveshaft undergoes when the machine is lifted. The manufacturer designs the joints to work to a certain angle (or rather, designs the suspension to stop travel at the point the CV joint should not accommodate further angle load) If the quad could have reliably operated that degree higher, there is no reason the manufacturer wouldn't have built it that way, to better compete in the marketplace.
That could be an awfully expensive inch or two. But I expressed this opinion once before and had somebody who sells lift kits (!) rail on about how he's never heard of one breaking a CV joint. There ya go.

Old 06-10-2004 | 11:32 PM
Weekend Warrior

Asked a Honda mechanic about em a couple days ago. Quote "I don't recommend them". All I know about it. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

Old 06-11-2004 | 09:19 PM
Pro Rider

I put on a lift and love it.

Old 05-12-2005 | 07:40 PM
Range Rover

so would i........new beatle.......you know the power!
...........this is a goood topic,,,a glen....?....
british columbia,,,, wow i love the inter net.....
thats far away, but beautiful land ,hats off to ta,.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]