Drivetrain, Suspension & Tires Discussions on ATV drivetrain, suspension, and tires.

C/V Boot Guards

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-1999, 09:53 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yamaha sells C/V boot guards made of heavy-duty KevlarŽ reinforced
Fiber. Yamaha claims, "easily installed over the OEM boots using supplied velcro and zip-ties." 4 Kevlar boot guards per set for $60. Has anyone tried them? I am concerned that mud will still get inside and wear through the rubber boots. Also, does anyone besides Yamaha sell them.

If the metal shields are better than a boot around boot, which ones are the best?

Dave Armbruster '97 Wolverine

Old 08-25-1999, 10:37 AM
Pro Rider

I have used both on my 98 wolverine, i had the same concerns about mud etc. getting inside of the kevlar protectors, after removing one I found no debris inside.The problem with the kevlar protectors is, the outboard cv boot is so close to the steering kunkle nut, that it tears off the tie strap,it would be better to use metal straps on this boot. If I had only one choice of protector to buy, it would be an Oxlite stick stopper, it also protects your a arms and axles, and cost a little less than the kevlar.Using both covers all the bases!!

Old 08-25-1999, 03:02 PM
Trailblazer

I installed the Oxlites on my 2000 450ES.They took a short while to grow on me as far as appearance but now I really like them.As far as functional,they work great.They are A-arm guards as well and do a real good job.I cut my U bolts down to the nut after installation(which was quick and easy)to prevent them getting hung up on anything.I have taken some serious hits on large rocks and they have thus far been bulletproof.If riding in a lot of mud, they do trap debris/mud readily so you should keep a close eye on them and clean out as needed.A quick fingerswipe or two in the field will do.
I have seen advertised in one of the many ATV mags Kevlar boot protectors like the Yamaha ones but the dual protection of the Oxlites works for me.Good luck.

Old 08-25-1999, 11:12 PM
Pro Rider

I have used the Oxlite shield on every 4x4 I have every owned and have not cut a cv boot to date thats 8 almost 9 years and 4 4wheelers and I have a nieghbor who still owns one of my old machines and it has 5100 miles on it and has never had a problem with a cv joint. The Oxlite products work very well.

------------------
Kevin Gowdy AKA-Kagey1999 Polaris Magnum 500

Old 09-13-1999, 08:59 AM
Trailblazer

Aluminum Products makes a nice CV boot guard. Check them out at:

www.aluminumproducts.com

Old 09-13-1999, 06:57 PM
Pro Rider

Be careful with the CV boot/a-arm guards like Ox-Lite, Cycle Country, etc... I didn't tear any boots, but I bought some protectors anyway for the extra saftey.

Mud, sticks, and debris would get caught up on top of the a-arm and it ruined 2 boots. I took the guards off and no problems since.

I only know of a few people who have had thei problem. It really depends what terrain you ride. Just make sure you keep it clean on the guards. I washed mine after every ride, but during the ride is when the boots got messed up.