Drivetrain, Suspension & Tires Discussions on ATV drivetrain, suspension, and tires.

what made the SEAT HIGHER/machine heavier?

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-1999, 02:47 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All right, I got my '96 Mojave repossessed from the bank, only knowing that it was used for racing. Not truly knowing all that was done to it, I have always felt like it was a little heavier and possibly sat higher than my '98 which is all stock. I've taken a good look at the machine, and everything seems stock, just as the '98. Tonight, me and someone I ride with each lifted one, than the other, and decided the '96 was definately heavier than the '98. Then we sat on one, then the other, and the '96 definately felt like you sat a little higher too. Tonight, I got a yard stick, measured, and the '96 actually is higher...by around .5" to 1.5".

What could this guy have done to it to make it higher than the other? I thought it would be suspension, but that is stock "kawasaki stock stickers on it". Then the swingarm is also stock, as it is the green stock chassis color. I knew that those two things could do it, but they are stock. With that being said, what could he have done? The tires are also smaller(aftermarket Dynatex), so that's not it.

I've thought all this time that all it has is a K&N air filter and a Cobra Exhaust, but if it really is heavier, he'd have to have some hidden away mods too, right? Especially if it is noticeably heavier. I'd just like to know what could have been done to my machine.

I may ask the dealer, but I just wondered if any of you would have any ideas. Any response is greatly appreciated, thanks.

------------------
- 1996 Kawasaki Mojave, 1998 Kawasaki Mojave, http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/B...8090/home.html

Old 08-31-1999, 11:50 PM
Range Rover

Do the shocks have Preload? If so, are both bikes set at the same setting? Is the seat stock? he could have added more pading. It could be that the 98 was ridden more/harder and it sags more. Measure the shocks while they are on the bike, if the 98 's shocks are shorter then it has more sag.

------------------
Arctic Cat 500, Not your average Kitty, The New King Of the Jungle

Old 09-01-1999, 09:14 PM
Trailblazer

I don't know about the weight problem but I am familiar with the height problem. It happens when the bike rolls back (e.g. after making an unsuccessful attempt at maintaining a wheelie) and the chassis holding the body panels is lifted if not severely bent. It's happened to a few of my buddies, especially with the Banshee. It's nothing to worry about unless you see any cracks in the welds or tube.