Drivetrain, Suspension & Tires Discussions on ATV drivetrain, suspension, and tires.

Which tire is better/// TITAN 589's, MUD-BUGS,OR VAMPS

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2000, 11:57 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well sence the outlaws havn't proved them worty enof for getting, now im thinking of these three/// which one is better and explain why you said that.

I go though deep water and some really mukky S###
about 30% of my time and trailing 40% of my time
and rock climbing 10% of my time.

I would like a tire that I can have fune with and still go though the really mukky S###.

Old 09-08-2000, 01:37 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Depends on the situation and preference. Vamps would probably be the better all mud tire, but suck on most trail surfaces compared to the other two. 589's would be in the middle and Bugs at the low end. Not as good mud traction as Vamps but a much better ride and handling. I chose Bi/Tri Claws. Decent ride (better than the Vamps, but probably not the Bugs) and great traction (probably as good as the Vamps). I just put the stockers back on my AC to sell it and noticed how much better it steers with the Bi-Claws up front than the stock 495's. Big difference, though that can be asserted by the narrower width of the front tires.

I don't really know anything about the 589's though. A lot of people have them. I think for that size, the best all around tire is probably the Mud Bugs. That or the new 27" mudrunners. They aren't the best at one given circumstance, but they are probably the best all around performers. Kinda like the Bear Claws are in the 25" tires.

Old 09-08-2000, 10:50 AM
Trailblazer

For an excellent review of tires check out this link:

http://www.4wheelatv.com/current.asp

Good luck and Happy Trails;-)

Old 09-08-2000, 12:28 PM
Pro Rider

nice review although i think they forgot 2 good contenders for mud tires,the titan 589`s and the good year mudrunners

Old 09-08-2000, 05:02 PM
Trailblazer

I have MudBugs and I don't think they give up anything to the Vamps or even the Outlaws. They have the same tread depth and are much lighter than Vamps. They're also 6-ply and the Vamps aren't. They are pretty rough on the trail (compaired to stock) but that's normal for a mud tread. I don't know about the 589's, but all the others are good tires (even the Outlaws--we've tested them and they're good).

CrashGordon

Old 09-08-2000, 08:52 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

They do not have the same tread depth. Take a look at the two together sometime and see. They are definitely lighter though. As far as the 6 ply goes, I don't see any big selling point there other than on paper. The 4 ply Vamps are about as stiff as you can imagine. Not going to puncture those with much less than a railroad spike. Same goes for the 4 ply Claws. The ply doesn't come into play as much when you get into these big $90 mud tires. They are all strong.

Old 09-11-2000, 11:46 PM
Range Rover

I like my 589's no comparison to stockers, seen alot of vamps, bi-claws, 589's and outlaws at a mud run this weekend. But of course none of these tires won the competition, it was a stripped down (no racks, bumpers) mid 90's sportsman with the tall skinny ag-tires. They really cut through the mud and they don't suck so much power to get them up and spinning, they went through the mud great, but I wouldn't want to ride on them all day!

Old 09-12-2000, 10:52 AM
Trailblazer

Sorry, my mistake on the tread depth. I didn't consider .1 inch (2.8mm) to be a real difference in tread depth, but I guess Vampire owners do.

CrashGordon

Old 09-14-2000, 01:35 PM
Range Rover

What about the outlaws? I'm about to get a pair of 27x12x12 tri-claws to put on the rear of my Rancher 2x4. I've used a pair b4 and there's hardly any they can't take me through. They only time I will put them on is when I want to hit the deep muck. But if there was a tire that would do just as good as a tri-claw but be a little better all around, I would think about it.

Old 09-14-2000, 07:36 PM
Trailblazer

I'll let you know about the Titan 589 next weekend. I just ordered a set of 25X10X12 for my Y2Kodiak. I'm putting them on stock wheels so they may rub a bit up front on the winch but I think I have an answer if there's a problem there. I decided to stay with the stock height so I can really spin them hopefully without any loss of power. I have high expectations for traction over the stockers. I hope there not to brutal on my local trails. Wish me luck!

Damguy
2000 4X4 Kodiak
Warn winch
Big Smile

Quick Reply: Which tire is better/// TITAN 589's, MUD-BUGS,OR VAMPS