Drivetrain, Suspension & Tires Discussions on ATV drivetrain, suspension, and tires.

Mudlite At's or XL's??

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2005, 09:09 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mudlite At's or XL's??

Well, just about the time I had decided on ordering a set of Bearclaws for my Kodiak, I stumble across these Mudlite "XL"'s. Wow. Nice deep 1 1/8" tread, and light weight. So now I can keep my stock tire size, and get much deeper tread. (Which will actually take me up a bit in overall diameter I believe).
Is anybody running these? Just wondering before I order a new set of boots for the Kodiak. The Bearclaws look really good, but I'm wondering how these mudlite XL's would be. I've heard that Mudlite's are a bit soft and wear faster compared to other tires, which will be fine in the terrain I'll be using them in, and if I go with XL's, there's so much tread depth there, that I shouldn't go through them any faster than any other tire.
Anybody have any experience with XL's???

Old 01-24-2005, 01:35 PM
Trailblazer

No experience with the 25" XL's but I have the 26" Lites and am very happy with them as an all terrain tire. Another good 25" tire with deep lugs to consider would be the Mud Bug.

Old 01-24-2005, 07:04 PM
Trailblazer

I have an 05 Kodiak with the IRS suspension and after agonizing and analyzing I decided on the ITP Wetlands AKA the Carlisle ACT Tires. They seem like a radial mudlite with 589 tread. Polaris puts their version of this tire on the 05 Sportsman. It s also sold on Bombardier ATVs with the XT upgrade.

Old 01-25-2005, 12:01 AM
Pro Rider

I have 27" Mud Lites on my Polaris. These have the deeper tread, but it actually measures just under a inch. My 589's measure close to 1.25 inches.....

here are a couple of pics side-by-side...the mud lites are dirty, but you can get the idea:

Mud Lite/589s rear view

Mud Lite/589s side view

the side view is kind of unfair since the 589s are closer to the camera....

dave

Old 01-25-2005, 08:35 PM
Trailblazer

The Wetlands have 3/4 inch tread and do everything and go everywhere the Mudlites do but ride and handle better because they are a radial. All depends what you want I guess.
Polaris version reviewed here. (The same tire)
http://www.atvwild.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=815

Old 01-25-2005, 10:20 PM
Elite Pro Rider
testing testing 123.

I am also in the market right now for new shoes for my 2000 Kodiak 4x4, I've been looking @ the bearklaws, my father in law has a set of rears on his & says they grab good I'm just wondering how they ride on hard pack, I don't need my back getting beat up anymore than it already does [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
A buddy of mine runs the Mudlites onhis YFZ450 all the way around, this weekend was his 1st tirp out w/ them, the fronts were a little too big for it but he LOVED the rears!! It looks like a damn tractor LOL anyway I was also pondering those tires but they seem like they would wear quicker!

I'm basicly looking for a $40-60 tire w/ a good life expectancy & for pretty much all terrains especially mudd [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] not necessarily mudd bogging mudd but I DO live in Western WA [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Any suggestions would be great from other Kodiak owners!! thanks & Kodiakmudslinger I hope I didn't butt in on your post [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] I just seen ALL the kodiak owners on here

Old 01-25-2005, 10:31 PM
Trailblazer

If you are looking for smooth ride radials have the best, and these radials I mentioned above are probably the best you can get for mud.

Old 01-25-2005, 10:35 PM
Pro Rider

The mud lite are a good tire, I have the shallow tread and wish I would have got the 26" tire. I like mt Wetlans but have not run them much, I can tell they seem to dig a little more than my mudlites.

Old 01-25-2005, 10:35 PM
Trailblazer

let me clarify best radial for mud not best all out mud tire.

Old 01-25-2005, 11:14 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: WildKodiak05
let me clarify best radial for mud not best all out mud tire.

ah, was just going to comment on that....the Mud Lites will work better in mud, are lighter and handle pretty well....don't really need the radial in almost any tire, thats why you carry plug kits...lol....although the 6 ply tires are hard to puncture, I run over cactus everytime I ride and doesn't pucture them....

Quick Reply: Mudlite At's or XL's??