Drivetrain, Suspension & Tires Discussions on ATV drivetrain, suspension, and tires.

PEP ZPS vs. TCS SCS

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2000, 06:00 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For the money, TCS are probably your best buy. I have a set of TCS shocks on my 250R and they are excellent for jumping, but are a little stiff compared to PEP. I sat on Johnny Hale's quad (with PEP shocks) and I really liked how soft and mushy the shocks were. They progressively got stiffer so they wouldn't bottom. The front and rear shocks had loads of sag. My TCS shocks are nice for now, but I will soon be buying a set of PEP or AXIS shocks.

Old 10-24-2000, 07:40 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well Adam;
I bought you TCS shocks and you told me that you felt that the TCS WERE BETTER than the PEP's. I do like the TCS, but they do feel stiffer than triple rates. I am still getting used to them come from extreme stiff stock 400EX shocks and really like them.

There is one thing I don't like about them so far and maybe you can help me with that.
They are soft enough that when I hit a dip in the trail at high speed, I get a lot of bump steer. Meaning when I encounter a dip on the right, especially downhills, the quad will turn to the left slightly, which I am unexpecting. I really don't like this. I am running 3/8" toe in and all the ball joints are tight.
Any suggestions?
I have cranked in and out on the compression, but this really has nothing to do with it. This quad should go straight. I never noticed this with stock shocks, because they were so stiff they would allow the front end to drop.

Old 10-24-2000, 10:30 PM
Range Rover

what would the most cost effective shocks be for a warrior for good size jumps but still soak up the bumps and hits on the trails?How are works at-steelers with rezzys and threaded preloads?what are yall's thoughts?

Old 10-25-2000, 12:49 PM
Pro Rider

I honestly don't know exactly what would be wrong with those shocks since they were brand new. I can't say that I had that problem in the few times that I used them. Make sure that the Preload is the same on both shocks, it might be off by notch or two. I suppose that could be the problem. That is the only thing that I can think of. I would say that 3/8" of toe in is too much. If I remember correct, I ran 1/4" so that might make a difference too. As far as my PEP ZPS shocks, I think that they are a little better feel because they aren't so stiff. However, I was hitting some significantly larger jumps last weekend and I was bottoming them out. I suppose because I got them used they aren't really setup for me either so that makes a difference. I never did bottom the TCS shocks. Since my shocks are going to need a revalve, I will probably get them done by TCS anyway and just keep my ZPS springs and see what will happen. I know you guys are all probably going to say that I contradict myself, but I don't want to wait for PEP to rebuild my shocks when TCS will do it in a week for a lower price. I do honestly feel that the PEP valving is more plush than TCS. I am hoping that triple rate springs with TCS valving will be better than my PEP valving. If it isn't then I will probably send them back to PEP and deal with the extended wait. By the way, did anyone notice that Custom AXIS front shocks for the TRX250R and 400ex are now going to use triple rate springs instead of dual rate? I thought that was quite interesting considering TCS and AXIS both claim that these shocks aren't long enough to use triple rates. This is part of the reason that I am going to keep my triple rate ZPS springs and get the TCS shims. I guess I'll wait and see what happens

Old 10-25-2000, 01:25 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Adam;
I think you misunderstood me. I am not saying there is anything wrong with the shocks that I bought from you. Only that I have alot of bump steer. The compression adjustment and preload are set the same on both shocks. I will try changing to 1/4" toe in even though that seams to be a small change. You seam to be pretty knowledgable, so I thought I would ask your opinion on my problem. If you think of anything let me know. I did order a-arms this week, so if that cures it, it must be in a ball joint.
Nick

Old 10-26-2000, 02:33 PM
Trailblazer

Hey Raychalp,

Whats up, I haven't posted in awhile but i'm still around. Make sure you ask Todd if you can use the Main Spring on your ZPS shocks with the TCS piston. That main spring is a lot more stiff than it is suppost to be. It combined with the ZPS piston is what makes Peps shocks work. If the FAST rebound circuit on the TCS piston isn't desinded for it you'll proably bounce badly after landing. Todd may be able to Valve for this, if he's ever done it. I maybe wrong about the spring though, but in Macon Ga. earlyer this year Mark Baldwin told me and 2 other guys that was how the dampend such big jumps.(he was helping one of them understand how his ZPS shocks worked). If any of you want a long winded reply let me know and i can explain how each shock works.

Old 10-26-2000, 03:35 PM
Pro Rider

i would like to know how ohline shock work and will read any thing you post

Old 10-26-2000, 06:04 PM
Pro Rider

I just thought of something after reading your post again. The TCS shocks have more travel than the 400ex shocks that is probably where the "problem" is.

Old 10-26-2000, 06:07 PM
Pro Rider

I have considered just what you are saying, but I haven't been able to get Todd on the phone yet to actually talk to him about it. I know that the ZPS spring that I have is a 275 and I think that Todd uses a 265 on his shocks. I am hoping that I don't have to get a new mainspring, when I called TCS they gave me a price of $100 just to have the shimstacks installed so I whenever I get around to talking with Todd, I will be sure to clear this up and let everyone know(if anyone even cares!)

Old 10-26-2000, 06:10 PM
Pro Rider

Like I said previously, I am not that impressed with Ohlins shocks. This was the first set of aftermarket shocks that I ever had. They are obviously better than stock shocks. As far as trail riding they were great, but once I started hitting the larger jumps, they bottomed out hard. This was primarily due to setup I am sure, but I really didn't like them that much. My next set was Works and they were much better in all conditions. Also, I hear that it is hard to get parts for Ohlins when it is time for service. I would say stick with a domestic shock like Works, PEP, TCS or AXIS. In the long run, you will be better off.