Drivetrain, Suspension & Tires Discussions on ATV drivetrain, suspension, and tires.

The Hype on HiPer-Tech Carbon Fiber Wheels

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2000, 11:38 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In the newest Dirt Wheels magazine I noticed an ad for new carbon fiber racing wheels by HiPer-Technology. The ad said the wheels are twice the strength of aluminum and half the weight for the same price. I've tried to contact them through both e-mail and phone and have never been able to talk to anyone. I know the wheels come out in December. Does anyone know anything about these wheels? Should I wait and buy some?

Old 11-01-2000, 12:45 AM
Pro Rider

Interesting ad. I cannot see how a carbon fiber anything can cost the same as aluminum. Maybe 10 times the cost or more. It is strange that they are so difficult to contact. If you ever do get a reply, please come back and post their reply.

Old 11-01-2000, 02:01 PM
Range Rover

I checked out their web site and the wheels do look sweeet! I cant belive there going to sell for the same price as allum. Its just ashame I already have allum. beadlocks. If anyone pops for some, keep us updated as to how well they are made and how well they hold up. Later!!

Old 11-01-2000, 05:15 PM
Pro Rider

I saw the proto-type wheels and they were sweet. They stole the design from micro midget sprint cars. The only problem is at the time they had no plans on making a 8x8 rear.

Old 11-01-2000, 06:00 PM
Pro Rider

what is the web address for them?

Old 11-01-2000, 07:22 PM
Weekend Warrior

I e-mailed them and they said that they start from $165. Their web site is
www.hiper-technology.com.

Old 11-06-2000, 12:38 AM
Weekend Warrior

Gentlemen,
We apologize for our failure to answer your phone calls and e-mails in a timely manner. Our ad went to print ahead of schedule and we were caught off guard while preparing for production. We will not officially be open for orders until Dec.1st, although our phone lines are up and operational as of Nov.1st if you would like to call. There is a waiting list for the wheels, for anyone interested in reserving a space on the order list. The waiting list does not require payment information of any kind. We assure you that these wheels are a significant advancement in ATV racing technology, and we can’t wait to get them in your hands.

Old 11-06-2000, 12:48 AM
Weekend Warrior

Carbon Fiber currently sells for around $14/lb whereas 6061 T0 aluminum,which is what current market wheels are made of, sells for $9/lb. We get a little better price on carbon fiber because of the volume which we buy it in. Most of the cost of aluminim beadlocks is in the labor to form, weld, polish, etc.
Hope this helps answer your question,

Old 11-06-2000, 03:55 AM
Weekend Warrior

Saying that we stole the technology from the Micro Sprint Car Market is a bit strong, since we also offer wheels for micro sprint cars. Reguardless, modular wheels have been available for sprint cars since the 1950's, long before micro midgets were born. Modular wheels have been available for quads for well over 10 years through Weld Wheels, Real Wheels, Champion, and Douglas, but were not used because of their weight and cost (typically $200 plus).
Please let us know where you saw our prototype wheels. These were to remain out of the public eye until final testing was completed.
Thanks,

Old 11-06-2000, 04:04 AM
Weekend Warrior

To answer the 8" wheel question and some others, I thought you should be privy to the following paragraphs written in reponse to another racers question.

It depends on what our definition of breaking is. Let me explain. If a current aluminum wheel is impacted to the point where the material yields, then it permanently bends, or in other words is permanently broken. On the other hand, if we look at breakage as brittle failure or the material fracturing and separating under load, then we must get a little more technical to answer the question. Aluminum wheels will not exhibit brittle failure, but they do tend to bend with very little ability to flex and return back to their original shape. Our Modular Carbon Fiber Wheels can exhibit brittle failure, but are able to flex to extreme points before failure is reached. The answer lies in how much energy or load input each type of wheel would take before it breaks or is rendered useless. In comparing apples to apples, our 10x9” single bead lock carbon fiber MX rim compared to an aluminum .190” Single Beadlock 8x8” with an inner reinforcement ring can absorb more than twice the impact energy of the aluminum wheel. Therefore it is twice as strong. But that is only half the story. The impact it would take for our rim to reach this limit would have to be so severe that the quad and rider attached to the wheel would be severely damaged. Also remember that our wheels are modular therefore broken components are able to be replaced without discarding the wheel.

PS
Apples to Apples? – I’m sure you are asking yourself how a 10x9 rim can be compared to an 8x8 rim. It has long been understood by most racing teams that a 10” rim would have an advantage on an MX track due to the shorter sidewall not allowing the tire to roll over during hard cornering. The advantages in handling would be significant, but as MX riders jumped higher and higher there was no 10” rim that would be strong enough without building one that weighed a ton. In addition, the sidewall of the 8” tires made for softer landings. These things contributed to making the 8” rim the standard for MX. As MX became a more popular and suspensions became highly sophisticated, riders discovered that the lower stance of the 18” tall tires worked best on the track. They compromised by giving up a little bit of tire sidewall for a lower center of gravity. Tire manufactures followed suite by developing a wide range of 18”tall tires for 8”rims. See where we’re going? Our 10” carbon fiber rims are more that strong enough for MX racing and lighter than the comparable 8”x8” rim mentioned above. They also flex, eliminating the need for all of that sidewall on those gnarly 15ft high jumps. With less sidewall they handle better and more consistently which is were most of the time is made up on the race track. All that’s missing from this equation are tires, and ITP has handled that for us with the release of their new 18x11x10 MX Holeshot (which we stock). Other tire manufactures are soon to follow. As any industry’s technology advances, things will change. When was the last time you saw cars with wooden wheels at Indy? Yet, wooden wheels were the standard for years. We did not release an 8” rim because we know our 10”MX rim is a better technology. As the motor builders build faster motors, and the chassis builders build better suspensions, we want to be know for building a better wheel.

Quick Reply: The Hype on HiPer-Tech Carbon Fiber Wheels