Drivetrain, Suspension & Tires Discussions on ATV drivetrain, suspension, and tires.

Big Horns or Gators

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2006, 05:55 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Big Horns or Gators

Ive narrowed it down to Big Horns, and Gators. I also want new rims, that are durable, and look nice.(not that dull grey rim that came with my AC, a shiny look) Can someone give me opinions on which of these two tires, and what rims would suit my needs? I do alot of rough trail riding, with rocks, and sticks, so rim strength, and tire strength are important.

Old 04-08-2006, 12:35 PM
Pro Rider

bighorns and gators are 2 very different tires
bighorns are meant for dry, rocky terrain while the gators are suited for mud
depending on how much mud you encounter should be a major deciding factor for you (i think both tires are 6 ply)
as for rims, you can go with steel or aluminum, most people go with the aluminum for weight savings, they say the aluminums are just as strong as the steel. check out itptires.com or maxxis.com for rims
hope this helps, 450kodman

Old 04-13-2006, 07:20 AM
Weekend Warrior

As stated by 450kodman they are 2 very different tires.

My brother in law has a Suz KQ 700 and just swapped out his Mud Lite XTR's for a set of Big Horns. His biggest issue was the fact that the XTR's were unstable at speed over 55.

He did alot of research and came up with the Big Horns being the best alternative. They are amazing on the trail solid at high speed and SUPRISINGLY CAPABLE IN THE MUD. I had reservations about their mud capability but I am now a believer. They clean themselves out well which is a huge benifit.

Since you live in Minnesota, I suspect your mud is alot like mine up in Eastern Ontario. Relatively swampy. Not "gumbo" mud like in the southern states. If this is true then the Big Horn's are an excellent option as far as I am concerned.

I have no experience with the Gators. They are definatly more of a mud tire though. You'll have to seriously think about how you ride since either way you'll ne making some sort of sacrafice.

Drew.