Drivetrain, Suspension & Tires Discussions on ATV drivetrain, suspension, and tires.

Tire bead repair

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2006, 06:58 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tire bead repair

Just passing on a little info.

I have had problems with a slow leak on my Traxter since I bought it almost two years ago. Had the dealer fix it once but it still leaked so I just put up with airing it up every 5 days or so. Yesterday I had a little time so I decided to check it out. First the stem was leaking, which I have checked that several times over the last year or so. Tightened the stem which stopped that leak. Poored water around the bead and found another leak. Broke down the tire and found a little divet in the bead area of the tire. Apparently there was something in the mold when the tire was made and it caused a little impression in the tire about 1/8" wide and approximately .020 to .030 deep.

I decided to try fixing it with silicone. First I cleaned the rubber good with a rubber cleaner. Then I applied a very thin layer of silcone over the divet and let it dry a couple hours. After drying I could still see and feel the divet so I applied another layer. End result was I applied 4 layers which I would ramp up the layer so it was thickest over the bad spot and tapered to nothing at the ends. These layers were spread over a 3 to 4 inch long area. I reinstalled the tire and aired it up to 20 lbs. No leak. I left it at 20 lbs. for a couple hours to let the silicone set up good then dropped the pressure to 5 1/2 lbs. which is what is called for. Checked it again, no leaks. Time will tell if this is a long term fix but for the short term it is working.