Drivetrain, Suspension & Tires Discussions on ATV drivetrain, suspension, and tires.

Tire Suggestions for Kodiak '06 Kodiak

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2006, 12:29 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tire Suggestions for Kodiak '06 Kodiak

im needing suggestions to replace the factory tires. id like something that will hold up to wooded trail, rocks, and field riding. also, should i go to a dealer or buy online? who has the best prices online? thanks....Tim

Old 11-22-2006, 01:33 PM
Pro Rider
Has Been Around Here Quite Awhile!

I've been looking at new tires also and have found Rocky Mtn. has about the best price around. I bought my Dirtdevils from these guys after spending a lot of time looking for the best price.http://www.atvoutfitters.net/home.htm
I like the DirtDevils, Great tire, wears forever, but If I had to do it over I'd go for Maxxis Bighorn's. There a Radial tire, and good for just about everything. Check out my Kodiak and DirtDevils in my photo page.

Old 11-22-2006, 01:43 PM
Weekend Warrior

I also have a 2005 Kodiak and I've been looking at all ATV forums to find the best tire for my needs. These are the one that I'm looking at:

ITP Mud Lite
ITP Mud Lite XTR
ITP 589
Maxxis Mud Bug

Most of my riding is on hard packed trails with some mud hole and fallen trees. The XTR would be my first choice but they are a bit more expensive but they combine the lightweight of the regular Mud Lite and the toughness of the 589.

Old 11-22-2006, 07:22 PM
Trailblazer

If I were you, I would not get anything real aggressive. My buddies have AC400's and they both have XTR's. They really bog the motor down when climbing hills and in deep mud. Almost to the point that they wont even turn the wheels over. I know the kodiak has a little more power than the AC400 cause I had a 05' kodiak 450. If you plan on putting any performance upgrades on it like a CDI or anything I would say go ahead and get something like the XTR, but if not, get something that you can keep spinning and it will get ya farther.

Old 11-22-2006, 08:22 PM
Trailblazer

I have 2 450 grizzleys. I am using a 26" mudlite tile. So far I have beem completly satisfied with them. Purchased thru ATVTires Plus on Ebay

Old 11-23-2006, 03:00 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

www.traxmotorsports.com will beat most ANY price war. Thats were i got my swamplites, mounted on delta chromed rims, with decorative caps, valve covers, and lugs, delivered to my door for 594 bucks. The swamplites are also a very good all terrain tire, look at pics to see them

Old 11-23-2006, 10:33 PM
Range Rover

I am currently running 25" ITP Wetlands radials. Very good all around tire, ride great, handle great, and good performance in mud, rocks and hard pack. I bought them about eighteen months ago, $300 from Motorcycle Superstore, they have about 1300 miles on them and have about half tread. I was on ebay yesterday and saw a NEW set of ITP Type 5 wheels with 26" ITP Mudlites (AT Shallow tread) for $265 with about 20 minutes left on the bidding. I got them for $270. The wheels alone are worth the $270, thats how I convinced my wife...HAHA. A dealer from Minnesota was selling them. You gotta love ebay. I am curious to see how the Mudlites compare to the Wetlands.

Old 11-25-2006, 07:04 AM
Pro Rider

I can't understand why any newer 2006 or 2005 model would need tires? Unless you did a ton of riding and put 4000 miles on ur ATV in 1 year then I can understand why you need new tires. I mean why replace the orginial tires if there is still tread on them? Even when all the tread wears down you still have a good thickness of rubber, and the tread on ATV tires mean nothing you get the good traction cause they are low psi balloon tires that the whole tire gives and its like ur riding on flat tires all the time, and going with any new tire higher than a 2 ply rating will decrease ur traction cause the tire will be harder and won't give. You should get between 3000 to 4000 miles on ur orginial tires and if you do need new tires purchace the orginial equiptment ones that was on ur ATV when new. Please take my word for it, I know guys that made the mistake of getting 4 or 6 ply big mudder deep traction tires on their ATV and they hate them, it rides hard, it changes the center of gravity like its going to tip over all the time, and they say they get less traction cause the new tires are hard and too stiff. Buy the 2 ply tires!

Old 11-25-2006, 09:54 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Ignore motormouth. He travels all the forums to give out stupid, off the wall information to get a rise in the threads. If you scan his posts in other topics, you will see what i mean.

Old 11-25-2006, 10:29 AM
Pro Rider

Very much agreed v2
Check ronnies.com also

Quick Reply: Tire Suggestions for Kodiak '06 Kodiak