Drivetrain, Suspension & Tires Discussions on ATV drivetrain, suspension, and tires.

Tire Suggestions for Kodiak '06 Kodiak

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2006, 05:30 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tire Suggestions for Kodiak '06 Kodiak

Mud Lites can be either an AT, XL, or XLT. In fact now there is also an XXL and a SP. I very often am interested in knowing what Mud Lite model is being discussed but will usually not know from reading this forum. Same thing applies to holeshot, max, razr, trak, rawhide, claw, bear claw, dirt devil, and others.

Old 11-25-2006, 11:31 PM
Range Rover

The reason for the new tires at about 6 months after purchase was because the stock tires were junk Maxxis 2 ply tires. They rolled bad on side hill riding, performed poorly in muddy and snowy conditions. I sold my stock tires for $100, so only $200 invested in a new set of radials. Once again on the new 26" Mudlites XL's on order with new ITP type 5's was because it was a good deal. $270 for wheels and tires how could I resist? I think the new radials ride is much better than the stock Maxxis, and are very cut resistant side walls when you are riding on those rocky PA trails. Try them MF150 you might be surprised how well your Eiger might perform with them, if that is possible.

Old 11-26-2006, 06:38 AM
Pro Rider

Let us agree on some facts! Number 1,, ATV's are engineered and designed for use of a certain tire and a certain size. Number 2,, ATV tires are made and designed to last the life of the ATV. Before they release any new atv for production they test and try all types and sizes of tires and thru testing the type of tire thats on it when new is the best possible tire thats safe and safe handling of the atv, so the o.e.m. tire is the one you need to use if replacement is needed. Going with either a higher ply rating, or a bigger size of tire will change the design of the atv, it will make it unsafe, the suspension won't work the way it was designed. I have seen many people make this mistake, the only reason they buy the new tires is because they want their atv to look better, nobody buys tires cause their tread wears out. My Dunlop 2 plys with no tread left will get more traction than ur new Bear Claw or Mud Lite 6 plys. The reason why ATV's tip or flip over and people get injured or killed is because they have the wrong tires on it. TRUST ME! Its UNSAFE to install either a higher ply or a bigger size tire on any ATV.

Old 11-26-2006, 09:05 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: MotoF150My Dunlop 2 plys with no tread left will get more traction than ur new Bear Claw or Mud Lite 6 plys. .
I just fell out of my chair laughing, woke up the baby....ugh

Old 11-26-2006, 10:25 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Im telling you, motormouth is a tool, and everyone needs to ignore him

Old 11-26-2006, 01:12 PM
Pro Rider

2,, ATV tires are made and designed to last the life of the ATV. (as quoted from motomouth150!) there is no way you can make me believe that you are that ignorant! that being said ,what is you major malfunction?did mommy and daddy not pay you enough attention when you were little? what make you say some of the stuff you say? do you live in a remote part of pa were you dont get to talk to folks? there is no way you can or care to talk like a human being, its like you must do the exact opposite of what a normal person would do! you can lead a horse to water ,but some times you just got to drown the thing!

Old 11-27-2006, 07:27 PM
Trailblazer

a guy at work told me to buy maxxis sur trac tires. he told me to stay away from the itp brand because they leak. he said they leaked through the tread not the bead. is this true?

Old 11-27-2006, 08:52 PM
Pro Rider

they wear fast , but honestly how could air leak through a solid piece of rubber?

Old 11-27-2006, 09:10 PM
Trailblazer

so... what would you suggest thats like the itp mudlite but wears longer?

Old 11-27-2006, 10:13 PM
Pro Rider

I have 26" Carlisle ACTs on my 06 Kodiak 450, good radial tire for the dollar, also ITP now has the Terra Cross in 25/12s so that would be another good option. There are other good tires to select but I like radials so it comes down to tread design for what you want to ride in and how much you care to spend.... I recommend you get them balanced so they don't vibrate at speeds above 30mph..

Quick Reply: Tire Suggestions for Kodiak '06 Kodiak