Drivetrain, Suspension & Tires Discussions on ATV drivetrain, suspension, and tires.

ITP Mudlite XTR vs Maxxis Bighorn for trails

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2007, 06:24 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ITP Mudlite XTR vs Maxxis Bighorn for trails

Hi there, top of the morning from nippy New Brunswick.......my first post...!

Looking for advice on new tires for my '03 Rincon. Since bought new in '03 i've been riding on 26x10-12 ITP Mudlite XL's.. They now have approx 5600 km's (3200 miles) on them, & i'm ready for a change with Spring coming. I've been looking into radials, and think i've narrowed it down to ITP Mudlite XTRs in 25", or Maxxis Bighorns in 25". I mainly trail ride, grouse hunt, plus plow snow, occassionally cross rock bottom brooks, very seldom do I get in deep mud. I think I want to go back to the OEM size (25x10-12 Rr & 25x8-12 Fr) as i've found my older 26" mudlites have taken abit away from performance which is understandable. However I just had Performance jetting and Air Filter installed late last year which helped put the snap back into it.

Any advice between Maxxis Bighorns vs Mudlite XTRs for my situation....?

Much appreciated....!

Old 03-03-2007, 03:01 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Both the XTR and Bighorns are great tires. Maybe the best all around tires on teh market. The XTR's are better for the mud while the Bighornes are better for rocks but both are superior to most other tires for ride, handling, wear and trails. The big horns are pretty heavy andthe 25" measure a true 26". So if you dont want a big power loss the XTR"s will be better because they measure 25" and are slightly lighter.

Old 03-03-2007, 03:02 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Also what mods do you have. HAve you cut the carb spring, uni filter or 2" tip?

Old 03-03-2007, 06:45 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks "2manytoys"......

So it sounds like the bighorns are both heavier and taller...? Also do you know what the lug depth is for each....? Also might one ride better on trails?

Old 03-03-2007, 07:45 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Yes the bighorns are heavier and bigger but are tough as nails. Both tires ride real well on the trails. The XTR's are a little more agressive for the mud but still very smooth. Both have about the same.

Big hornes 28/32 =28.0mm

XTR 1 1/8 =28.5mm

Old 03-04-2007, 08:16 AM
Trailblazer

I recommend the bighorns based on your post. I was running 26" mudlite xl tires and switched to bighorns last fall and couldn't be more satisfied. The bighorns perform better than my lites did in every situation except wet, deep mud and that isn't by much. I am very suprised how well the horns do in the mud. As far as size goes, both my 26" mudlites and 25" bighorns measured 25.50" tall when new (5 psi). You won't be disapointed with the horns if you get them. I have had my bighorns for over six mos now and they still look new, barely any wear at all. Very tough tires.

Old 03-04-2007, 03:59 PM
Pro Rider

I wanted a good all around tire that would perform well on the trails and when it came time to go through a mud hole it would perform just as well. I went with the mudlite XTR and coudn't be happier. It rides smooth and has great traction. I went with the 27" on 14" wheels for my sportsman 800 because I wanted the extra ground clerance but didnt want to sacrifice handeling characteristics. The 14" wheels were narower with the package I bought and really help put the rubber to the ground. They are heavier than stock, but I was still able to get 65 mph on my GPS and no shaking of the handlebars. Not to aggressive, but just enough when needed. My second choice were the bighorns and they will go on my wifes quad when her stockers wear out.

Old 03-04-2007, 07:23 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Trailbound,

Didnt your 800 come with xtr stock? I agree with everything you said except I dont think going to a 27 did anything but take some performance. Going up 1 size only gains 1/2 inch clearance but has a great weight difference. My brother inlaws came stock with the XTR tires. The only difference is they say Polaris but otherwise exactly the same.

Old 03-04-2007, 07:36 PM
Pro Rider

The stock tires on an 800 are PXT or "polaris xtreme tire" by carlisle. They are 26x8x12 front and a 26x11x12 rear. They have under 3/4" lugs and are a radial. With 5psi of air on level surface I took a buble level to it and a tape measure. New, the hight was 25.5" The Mudlite XTR or "xtreme terrain radial" is alot heavier, but has 1 1/8 inch lugs and measure 27x9x14 fronts and 27x11x14 rears. With a buble level on flat surface and a tape measure they came to 27.5" tall with the recomended 7psi. With a 2" greater diameter I got 1"greater radius and thus 1" in ground clerence. Trust me there is a big differnce! 27.5 - 14" wheel still gives me 6.75" between the rim and the ground. Stock I had 25.5 - 12" /2 =6.75 So stock I had the same tire sidwall flex, but now I have 1" more ground clerence with 2 times the lug hight in a radial. And they are not that heavy on aloy rims.

I did my homework before I made this spendy purchase, but I think it was worth every penny.

Old 03-04-2007, 07:45 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

My bad. I just went out and looked and you are right. Not sure what made me think they were xtr's. And yes the Polaris pxt's are kinda small. I measured them against my 25" swamp lites and my swamp lites are just a smidge taller. So now I can see where you gained. The polaris tires measure small. How much of a power loss did you notice with the 27 xtr's. Everything that I have read and seen point me to believe the xtr and big horns are the best tire on the market as of now but I also see alot about the terracross being really good as well.

Quick Reply: ITP Mudlite XTR vs Maxxis Bighorn for trails