Drivetrain, Suspension & Tires Discussions on ATV drivetrain, suspension, and tires.

Bighorns vs. Terracross vs ITP Mudlite XTR w/ ss108B

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2007, 09:17 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bighorns vs. Terracross vs ITP Mudlite XTR w/ ss108B

I finally was able to get my new 420 rancher into some fun stuff and am seeing how inadequate the stock tires are in the sloppy slick stuff.I like the looks of the new terracross but hear they may wear alil prematurely-whats that mean? 1k miles 2k?-I dont ride tar much just woods-fireroads-powerlines and swamps occasionally.I also read good stuff about the bighorns-but fear they may not be a whole lot better in the mud than the stockers?I want a radial tire for its durability and smoothness -the Mudlite XTR looks like it would be great in the sloppy swamps but is it too aggressive for smooth light steering when my wife drives the quad?

Im also looking at getting them on the new SS108 Black wheels-is getting a Black wheel a bad idea for durability sake?I love how the black wheels make the quads look stealthy but dont want to buy if there gonna look like junk in 6 months of riding.My rancher has 24's on it now-I was gonna get some 25's to keep the handling similar to stock plus I hear these aftermarket tires are taller than they claim.

Thanks for advice or opinions on my questions-

Old 04-23-2007, 02:17 AM
Trailblazer

I think I can address some of your concerns based on recent experience:

1. My Terracross' show no visible wear after about 150 miles. It appears they will go for quite a while.

2. The Terracross tires are radial and ride very smooth.

3. The 25" Terracross on my Vinson measure right at or a little over 24", so they are definitely not too tall.

Old 04-23-2007, 09:24 AM
Weekend Warrior

So hows the traction compared to the stockers?

If they only measure a lil over 24 maybe I should go to the 26's instead-I love the sporty ride of the smaller tires but need more clearance and traction in the swamps/bogs around here.

What pressure are you running them at?

Any ideas as to where to find the best deal on wheels and tires online?

Thanks for your help

Old 04-23-2007, 01:11 PM
Trailblazer

duality420,

The traction is excellent on these tires. They seem to grip very well every where I have ridden and are great on off-camber hillsides. For lack of a better term, the stock tires seemed more slippery in these situations. The Terracross tires only slide about 50 % the amount the stock tires do on fast fire roads, but this is just right.

When I bought mine about a month ago, the 26" size was only available for the 14" wheel. This set up is common on Rhinos. For the 12" wheel, only the 25" tire is available.

With 5 1/2 psi in the front tires, they measure 24". The rear tires with 5 1/2 psi measure 24 1/2".

The deal I got was from a new local business who was trying to price aggressively to attract new customers. The fronts were $63 and the rears $69.

Old 05-03-2007, 09:54 PM
Pro Rider

I wish I could have gotten a price like that for my Terracrosses.

This tire is awesome, great feel on the trails, great traction in sand and snow. Haven't tried them much in mud yet.

Old 05-06-2007, 10:37 AM
Pro Rider

the bighorns are not helpless in mud. they go pretty good. when the mud gets thick enough to clog the tread, then the only answer is a true mud tire.

from what i have read, the Bighorn vs T/C is a coin toss. the T/C seems to ride a little better, but the more numerous but smaller tread blocks that offer the better ride seem to wear a little faster. i read a post (nyroc's i think) where a guy with T/C tires had a hard time keeping up with the Bighorns in snow, but that may be due to tire pressures or other factors. i would have guessed the T/C would have the edge in snow.

i was looking at both of these tires when i was shopping, but the T/C was new enough that the long term durability hadn't been proven like it was for the Bighorns, so it was the Bighorns for me.

i do like the looks of the T/C. the way the tread wraps around the sidewall is neat and may add puncture resistance. i seriously doubt you would be sorry if you bought a set of them.

but looking at the atvs on the hardcore trails of the west shows more Bighorns than any other single tire. if i had to replace my machine tomorrow, i'd order 27" Bighorns as soon as i ordered a new 650i.

monty