Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

ATR VS Bighorns

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2003, 08:59 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ATR VS Bighorns

Ok, another question from Mr. Undecided:

I can't quite decide between ATR's or Bighorns.

Mike Penland uses Bighorns. My friend also swears by them.
Penland uses them not because of traction, but because they are tough (50% tread, 50%open means good protection). He claims they last longer and take abuse better. He also claims they handle the best. He think ATR's have too much traction for his riding style. My friend claims they aren't bad in mud either.

Everyone on this forum tells me ATR's are best. Now, I don't doubt that they are great tires. But, do you want that much traction on dry? TRX450 says yes. He also says they aren't bad in mud either.

Is it just that ATR's are great, and Maxxis doesn't advertise and they are too expensive.

I didn't want to ask this in the Tires forum, cuz I don't really trust the oppinions of and Sport Utility driver that has IRS.

Anyone used bighorns, like them?

Old 04-28-2003, 09:23 PM
Pro Rider
Default ATR VS Bighorns

I ordered my ATR's today after much thought. They are back ordered for at least 3 weeks. I also checked with 5 other dealers and they also were out of stock and on back order. As noted in earlier converstations I especially like the rim protector and the 6 ply. I will be mounting them on C-series rims and can't afford to ding them up. I will use my 589's on Kawi rims for the wet months, ATR's for the semi to dry months. I don't know anyone other than on forums that have ATR's but I know alot of riders that have Holeshots and are extremely happy with them. Will give a ride report when I get them.

Old 04-28-2003, 09:39 PM
Pro Rider
Default ATR VS Bighorns

Almost like when everyone was telling how how awesome the p650 was and you wanted to do all your own research, and then you realized after you bought it, everyone was right all along.... just about the same thing wth the atr's. I haven't had a single moment I didn't love them, aside from very deep mud and muck. They do not do too badly in the mud, better than stock i'd wager, but they really rock everywhere else. Go for a set. You know you'll mount more sets on your quad eventually, and if you're not as impressed with the atrs as we all are, try a set of big horns next....

Old 04-28-2003, 09:53 PM
Pro Rider
Default ATR VS Bighorns

I must agree with lightman,

I love mine, they seem to be wearing very well and as for strength and duribility... i have really abused mine and i still don't have any tears or major cuts. After the trip i took to the desert easter weekend i thought for sure i was gonna have a flat.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-frown.gif[/img] But to my suprise i had no flats at all [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img] i took them through some deep sage brush, the kind of sage brush that you look at and go i will find another way. As for the mud there ok, not like the bear claws or mudlites, but i haven't been stuck yet either[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

They are kinda expensive but they are well worth the price!!! And as said before they really do a good job of protecting you rims from those dings. (i have no dings yet)

Old 04-28-2003, 11:59 PM
Trailblazer
Default ATR VS Bighorns

As far as price goes I think that the bighorns set you back just as bad as the ATR's. I was going to get me a set of bighorns, but at the time I needed tires, they were to hard to get. So I ended up with the ATR's. Are the ATR's good. Yea. Do they tear. Yes!! I've now got about 500 miles on mine and they are 'chunking out'. I do ride a LOT of rock though. I still believe that I will get at least 2000 miles out of them. I love how they are in the hard snow. Yesterday we rode to the top of Monroe Peak (about 12,000 feet). As long as you stayed on the snowmobile tracks you could stay on top of the stuff. If you screwed up the wheeler would sink in nearly 5 feet of snow.
My next set of tires will be the Bighorns, but only because I like to try different things and I really want a tire that will last.

Old 04-29-2003, 12:07 AM
Pro Rider
Default ATR VS Bighorns

3TV, not that I don't respect your oppinion, what I meant to say was I was hoping to get 650 (and 700) opinions. I just feel that the people that own a 650 are often riding differently than people that own a polaris or a griz.

I mainly said that so that moderators wouldn't bump my post out the the tire section. I don't want to hear what the bomb, pol and cat guys are saying about tires.

I think it can be safely said bighorns are tougher, tread lasts longer, but don't bite as well. Not that they aren't good.

I am trying to figure out why all the AT. Is it just ITP advertising, or is the ATR better than the All Trak and the Bighorn. So far, the advertising appears to be winning. Not that the ATR isn't a great tire, or even the best tire, but I think most of us jumped on the ITP wagon because of the word "Radial", and "Holeshot"

Either that or Mike Penland and my friend are just biased and like to be different (and Mike is sponsored by maxxis).

Feel free to jump down my throat. (oh, 650freak, my friend said bighorns aren't very good in snow).

Old 04-29-2003, 02:24 AM
Pro Rider
Default ATR VS Bighorns

Nyroc,
Here is my 2 cents worth. For general playing around and durability I like the Bighorns, for racing and I found this by accident the Razors work the best as they are light with very little side wall movement not like the ATR's. The ATR's,....... sorry fellows, but are not very durable. Besides if you are going to play in the snow and mud then put on the 28inch monsters!!!!!!!!

Old 04-29-2003, 08:20 AM
Pro Rider
Default ATR VS Bighorns

4 wheeler atv action tested the atr on a prairie. they got 2 sec faster. ill try to find the article.

Old 04-29-2003, 09:24 AM
Pro Rider
Default ATR VS Bighorns

Best value and best traction with the best wear equals Maxxis all Tracs. These things on a prairie rule. They are very durable. And last a long time. I have 1100mi on a set and the rear are about 75%tread and the front are 90% tread. I picked up a set of four for $212 with shipping. The only advantage of the ATR's since ihave tried both is that the ride is a little smoother.

Old 04-29-2003, 11:17 AM
Pro Rider
Default ATR VS Bighorns

You tried both the all trac and the atr on the same machine?

Quick Reply: ATR VS Bighorns