Drivetrain, Suspension & Tires Discussions on ATV drivetrain, suspension, and tires.

Maxxis Bighorn correct rotation question.

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2007, 05:48 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Maxxis Bighorn correct rotation question.

The Bighorn tires I just received have different tread pattern depending on direction of rotation. Also if the raised white letters are installed to outside on all tires than the tread direction is different from side to side. So if you want tread pattern to be the same on all tires then one side will have raised white letters and other side will be black. I cannot locate any rotation arrow on the tire sidewall. So how should these tires be mounted or does it make any difference? Also, the tread pattern on the Maxxis Bighorn website indicates a tread pattern that is identical for either direction of rotation. I purchased 25/8-12 and 25/10-12's for my 700 Griz.

Old 08-20-2007, 06:14 PM
Pro Rider

Turtle,

Did you give Maxxis a buzz? or at least call the dealer where you bought the tires? Seems kinda odd, though I don't think it should make a big difference.. Let me know as those are the tires/size I plan on getting for my '07 450 Grizzly.

-Steve

Old 08-20-2007, 10:31 PM
Pro Rider

Steve. I sent Maxxis an email with question but never got answer. Then after a few days waiting for answer here I just went ahead and mounted all tires with raised white letters facing out. I have seen pictures of other Bighorns that do have tread pattern that appears to be same in each direction. I agree with you that it should not make any difference in wear or traction.
Maxxis has full page add in Sept 07 Quad magazine on page 25 with tread the same for either direction. Then on page 129 is picture of yellow Rhino with tread different each direction just like mine. And on page 135 is picture of GBC Dirt Tamers Bighorn knock off with tread same for both directions.
The GBC Dirt Tamers and GBC Dirt Devil 2s were my 2nd and 3rd choice when I bought the Bighorns and they both look great in this add. I don't think you could go too wrong with any of these tires.