Drivetrain, Suspension & Tires Discussions on ATV drivetrain, suspension, and tires.

Brand new tires loosing air??

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2007, 11:29 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brand new tires loosing air??

I had a new set of ITP Terracross tires mounted on my existing SS106 rims on Monday. Much to my surprise both front tires lost almost all the air within two days of sitting in the garage, I never even road on them yet! They are brand new!

I did not have this problem with my previous set of tires, I am going to check the valve stems and beed seal with water. Is there some type of sealant that needs to be used when mounting new tires? Any help will be appreciated...

Old 10-11-2007, 01:20 AM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The bead is probably not seating. Be aware though, that some tires just won't seat with some rims! If you don't have ITP rims, that may be the case (???).

Try this. Deflate the tires, and put a tie down strap around the circumfrance of the tire and pull it tight. Then inflate the tire to the max pressure. The tie down should make the bead area puff out, and maybe you can get a good seal???

Add some Fix-a-Flat, and see if that helps. If not, it will at least show you where the leak is!!!

Old 10-11-2007, 04:35 AM
Range Rover

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: 1badyellaoutty

I had a new set of ITP Terracross tires mounted on my existing SS106 rims on Monday. Much to my surprise both front tires lost almost all the air within two days of sitting in the garage, I never even road on them yet! They are brand new!

I did not have this problem with my previous set of tires, I am going to check the valve stems and beed seal with water. Is there some type of sealant that needs to be used when mounting new tires? Any help will be appreciated...</end quote></div>

Dont put no fix a f;at in there.then u will have to take tire off that crap hardens and throws tire outta balance. Put soapy water on tire u will find leak then.but the strap ideas good and when all else fails starter fluid and a match will do job

Old 10-11-2007, 09:49 AM
Red Rider

I run Fix-a-Flat in all my tires, all the time! It doesn't dry out (but Slime will!), and doesn't throw the tire "off balance". It will save your a$$ frequently by sealing any thorn punctures you get.....

Old 10-12-2007, 02:25 AM
Range Rover

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: reconranger

I run Fix-a-Flat in all my tires, all the time! It doesn't dry out (but Slime will!), and doesn't throw the tire "off balance". It will save your a$$ frequently by sealing any thorn punctures you get.....</end quote></div>

Ok so when u filled your tires after they were mounted u filled em with a can of that? I doubt it. All tire fixers like that get hard. how do u think they fill holes? cans of fix a flat will inflate a SUV tire to 33 pounds from flat and u would not be able to seat a tire without that crap flying all over. it says right on can to have it removed as soon as safely possiable and the hole fixed. sorry but u may use something other that fix a flat in a can and if so my bad. i dunno where u ride but here in AZ cactus gut run down daily thats why there are tire plugs for big holes that matter. . and any amount of fluid put into a tire of any kind will make it wobble outta balence at speed not rolling below 15 mph. its called centrifical force. it gets stuck against outside of tire when u go it does not float around free in tire.

Antwho i hope u figured out your tire issue there 1badyell

Old 10-12-2007, 09:44 AM
Pro Rider

Are your wheels aluminum? If so, it could be the wheels. They are notorious for developing hair-line cracks and losing air, and not holding a bead well. All the aluminum wheels on our cars and trucks require constantly checking and airing up. The steel wheels will hold the same pressure for years. I'd never run aluminum, especially off-road because they don't bend like steel, they crack.

Old 10-12-2007, 09:55 AM
Red Rider

dosceola-I ride So. Calif. desert....lots of thorns here to put little puncutres in your tire. Little punctures that are to little for a plug, but still big enough to flat your tire.

Yes, when I get a new quad, the first thing I do is take it home and put Fix-a-Flat in the tires!!! That way it is in there all the time, and you don't have to stop and and fix any thorn ******.

This is a common practice! I have done this on all my quads/bikes for 20 years. You can bet there isn't a desert racer out there that isn't doing the same thing! Otherwise, they would never finish the race.

Run Fix-a-Flat....or walk home....it's your choice....

Old 10-13-2007, 04:08 AM
Range Rover

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: reconranger

dosceola-I ride So. Calif. desert....lots of torns here to put little puncutres in your tire. Little punctures that are to little for a plug, but still big enough to flat your tire.

Yes, when I get a new quad, the first thing I do is take it home and put Fix-a-Flat in the tires!!! That way it is in there all the time, and you don't have to stop and and fix any thorn ******.

This is a common practice! I have done this on all my quads/bikes for 20 years. You can bet there isn't a desert racer out there that isn't doing the same thing! Otherwise, they would never finish the race.

Run Fix-a-Flat....or walk home....it's your choice....</end quote></div>

Ok ranger. but u dont disagree with my point. and i know all about little holes in tires. u guys would fall over laughing if u saw all the plugs in my tires. soap and water finds em and i plug em even the little ones. but i do know lots of racers here who swear it off.cause they race course races that dont have crap on them. thats why they use quick release studs and have a support crew in chase vehicles. Thats desert racing not getting dizzy on some track in a park thats groomed. ah never mind.to each his own I dont run that stuff and ive never walked home because of a flat. broken belts and ball joints are nother story though. have fun

Old 10-13-2007, 09:47 AM
Red Rider

The thing about the fix-a-flat, is that you will never even know you had a puncture as long as it is a small one....it will fix itself while you ride!

If it is a large one, the fix-a-flat will bubble out of the hole and you will easily see where the hole is and then be able to plug it! I don't carry so much extra water (or soap!) on a 100 mile desert cross-country ride that I want to waste it finding a tiny hole in my tire that could have sealed on its own. It beats the whole system...believe me!

Also, good quality tires will go a long way to keep you up and running. I have run ITP Holeshot XC's and XCT's for the last dozen years, and they have never let me down. I have never had a flat myself out on the trail....never!!! But I have rescued a hundred or so riders who did get a flat!

Old 10-14-2007, 02:42 AM
Range Rover

Recon give it up. I got the fact u like stuff ok. R u sellingstuff or what? sales down this week...I'm kidding joke relax don't get panties all knoted up its ok. Breath man breath