Drivetrain, Suspension & Tires Discussions on ATV drivetrain, suspension, and tires.

Best all terrain tires.

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2008, 05:32 AM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Best all terrain tires.

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: Honda777

<u>Jum boy</u> frank will probably <u>disagre</u> with me but as your plys go up your snow traction goes down and remember <u>theres</u> more to tires than looking good</end quote></div>

Who??? [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

I <u>don't know</u> how the number of plys affects your traction in snow. When you have a heavy ute that requires 5 psi in all 4 tires I don't think it makes much difference. I don't know because all of my stock and aftermarket tires have been 6-ply.

The more plys you have the more puncture resistance you have but the tires are also a little heavier. It's a trade-off that's well worth it if you ride on trails with sharp rocks or thornbushes. Then an 8-ply would be a lot better than a 2-ply.

Old 08-04-2008, 08:06 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

See what I mean ,OK it's your forum now jum boy frank im all done answering any questions. ,thanks for ruining it for me , you win . By the way there are some other questions on the Kawasaki fourm page that I answered that you may want to go conderdict while you at it.

Old 08-04-2008, 08:11 AM
Trailblazer

See what I mean, Ok jum boy frank I'm all done with responding to questions on this site I am trying to help these people and you are giving them bad information, you win I lose whatever, by the way there are some answers I posted on the Kawasaki fourm page you may want to go and conderdict them while your at it.

Old 08-04-2008, 09:38 PM
Moto Psycho

See what I mean ,OK it's your forum now jum boy frank im all done answering any questions. ,thanks for ruining it for me , you win . By the way there are some other questions on the Kawasaki fourm page that I answered that you may want to go conderdict while you at it.</end quote></div>

Who??? [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

Frank

Old 08-04-2008, 09:39 PM
Moto Psycho

See what I mean, Ok jum boy frank I'm all done with responding to questions on this site I am trying to help these people and you are giving them bad information, you win I lose whatever, by the way there are some answers I posted on the Kawasaki fourm page you may want to go and conderdict them while your at it.</end quote></div>

Are you talking to me? [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img] What bad information did I give. More plys on a tire makes them more puncture resistant. It's harder to poke a hole in 5/8" thick rubber than it is 1/8".

Old 08-08-2008, 09:19 AM
Pro Rider

Destruction..

If that were my Grizzly 700, Sweet Quad by the way Congrats! I'd go with at least 26" tires... maybe even 27"s. The tires I would look at are the Maxxis Bighorn and the Maxxis Zilla (not mudzilla) for all around tires.

You did mention the Dirt Tamer -- GBC tires are a sister company of Maxxis.. hence the Strong resemblance between the GBC Dirt Tamer and the Maxxis Bighorn ( newly available Bighorn 2.0 -- lighter and true to size). Basically the only difference between the Horn and the Tamer is the Tamer is Bias ply and the Horn is a Radial.

I have Maxxis stockers on my Grizz 450... and they have taken a beating and a half! They have gotten me through some rocky stuff, even some mud my buddies thought I be stuck in... Granted when the mud gets nasty -- forget it... they are horrible.. but I am not one to SEEK out mud pits! At least not with these tires.. hahaha... I was happy to see the Maxxis brand on my quad when I bought it as I have religiously used Maxxis tires on my dirtbikes and have always had good experiences with them! So my brand of preference for tires is Maxxis.. I am not shallow to not consider others... but when the time comes (when I have to winch myself out more often than not..) to replace my tires I will choose between the Zilla's and Bighorns.

Old 08-08-2008, 11:49 AM
Trailblazer

I'm new to the quadding thing and I needed tires when I got my 450 Kodiak. I was shoping around online and found a site that had very good deals and free shipping.

I did a ton of reading and decided to go with the Kenda Bear Claws, they are a HD 6ply tire and have a great tread pattern. I now have 200 miles on them and in mud, sand dunes, hardpack trail, etc I'm very happy with them. They are showing 0 signs of wear too. I think I paid something like 225.00 (stock sizes) and I'm very happy with them!

Old 08-10-2008, 06:42 PM
Pro Rider

If you are considering the Bighorn, you have to look at the Duro Power-grip. Similar tread design (but more aggressive), lighter, cheaper, and still a 6-ply radial. I've been very happy with these tires.

Old 08-10-2008, 09:02 PM
Weekend Warrior

swamplites are a good trail tire, and small mud holes. when i say small i mean no deeper than two and a half feet. when i hit the three foot and over mark, they just rake the bottom with no push. they're good for everything else

Old 08-12-2008, 01:16 AM
Range Rover

ITP ATR's

Quick Reply: Best all terrain tires.