Drivetrain, Suspension & Tires Discussions on ATV drivetrain, suspension, and tires.

New Rims

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2008, 02:26 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Rims

I have a 2008 Rancher and will likely need new tires by the spring.

Would it be worth replacing the stock rims as well as the tires?

What advantages are there to replacing the stock rims? I'm not sure there is a point, to replace them, so I turned to you for advice. Thanks.

Old 11-22-2008, 06:47 PM
Pro Rider
Default New Rims

My $0.02 on this one.

I see lots of people who buy new tires for their ATV's get new rims to because of the cool factor or the looks to make their ATV fancy looking..... personally it is an All-Terrain Vehicle... Why spend $300 or so bucks to replace stock steel (in some cases aluminum) rims when the ones you have are working just fine... In my case my stock steel wheels work just fine and I am not too nice to my ATV... it sees rocks, mud, sometimes a tree or two [img]i/expressions/beer.gif[/img] to spend $300 on rims only to seem them get wacked around by rocks I scrap against [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

There are some legitiment (to me) reasons.. Wider stance, you actually want 14" rims etc. I believe your Rancher comes with odd rims sizes? 24x8x12's up front (12" rim) and 24x10x11 rears. I Say odd-size because most 400cc and up ATV's come stock with 25x8x10 front tires and 25x10x12 rear tires.

There are a good amount of tires out there for your Quad that will fit your stock rim size.. I guess it all depends what you want to get for tires.

Old 11-22-2008, 07:49 PM
Trailblazer
Default New Rims

i have a 2007 rancher 420, i ride in the pacific northwest, lots of rain and very steep terrain, lots of muddy steep hillsides, i took the stock tires off, unfortunatly had to buy wheels to go with the 25 inch set i bought, all i can say is i bought duro powergrip radial tires, from rocky mountain atv, what a difference these tires make, huge difference, in ride and traction, no bump steer.

Old 11-22-2008, 09:48 PM
Trailblazer
Default New Rims

OK, thanks for the info. I would like to get a set of Maxxis Bighorns that fit my existing rims. I won't bother getting different rims. Hopefully I can find the bighorns, or something similar in my existing rim size.

Old 11-23-2008, 10:34 AM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default New Rims

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: CraZySteve

My $0.02 on this one.

I see lots of people who buy new tires for their ATV's get new rims to because of the cool factor or the looks to make their ATV fancy looking..... personally it is an All-Terrain Vehicle... Why spend $300 or so bucks to replace stock steel (in some cases aluminum) rims when the ones you have are working just fine... In my case my stock steel wheels work just fine and I am not too nice to my ATV... it sees rocks, mud, sometimes a tree or two [img][/img] to spend $300 on rims only to seem them get wacked around by rocks I scrap against [img][/img]

There are some legitiment (to me) reasons.. Wider stance, you actually want 14" rims etc. I believe your Rancher comes with odd rims sizes? 24x8x12's up front (12" rim) and 24x10x11 rears. I Say odd-size because most 400cc and up ATV's come stock with 25x8x10 front tires and 25x10x12 rear tires.

There are a good amount of tires out there for your Quad that will fit your stock rim size.. I guess it all depends what you want to get for tires.</end quote></div>

I'm glad I'm not the only one who feels that way. Whenever I bash my stock rims againt rocks and stumps I'm glad they didn't cost me a single cent extra. The money I <u>didn't</u> spend on wheels paid for most of my other accessories, like all the things I need to install when it warms up to the 30s this afternoon. [img]i/expressions/sun.gif[/img] [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]

Old 11-23-2008, 04:01 PM
Pro Rider
Default New Rims

i think they was worth the money for the ones i bought. i broke 2 sets of steal rear rims b4 i got my .190's. the weight savings and unsprung weight helped in the performance area.

Old 11-23-2008, 09:26 PM
Trailblazer
Default New Rims

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: sjbr549

i think they was worth the money for the ones i bought. i broke 2 sets of steal rear rims b4 i got my .190's. the weight savings and unsprung weight helped in the performance area.</end quote></div>

How did you break two sets of rear rims?

Old 11-23-2008, 09:53 PM
Trailblazer
Default New Rims

i think bighorn radials 25 is the smallest they make, youll have to change the stock wheels on a rancher to run a set of bighorns.

Old 11-23-2008, 10:29 PM
Pro Rider
Default New Rims

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: wa3rh

i have a 2007 rancher 420, i ride in the pacific northwest, lots of rain and very steep terrain, lots of muddy steep hillsides, i took the stock tires off, unfortunatly had to buy wheels to go with the 25 inch set i bought, all i can say is i bought duro powergrip radial tires, from rocky mountain atv, what a difference these tires make, huge difference, in ride and traction, no bump steer.</end quote></div>

I too got the power-grips. What an excellent tire. And priced a LOT less than the Bighorn.

Old 11-24-2008, 01:18 PM
Pro Rider
Default New Rims

i think it was a combo of riding style,sticky red clay and to much grip. i was breaking the center out. cracks would develop about an 1/2" from the stud .one would run toward the other stud the other would start toward tire. the lugnuts was tight so that was'nt the problem. looked at them with a magnifying glass and it looked like they was being pulled apart. i figured it was metal fatigue causing the problem. got the .190's about 3yrs ago have'nt had another problem