Drivetrain, Suspension & Tires Discussions on ATV drivetrain, suspension, and tires.

New tires rub on fenders

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2008, 03:49 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New tires rub on fenders

I had posted this in the polaris forum, but hope some of you may be able to help me here.

Got some nice tires and wheels from rocky mountain, but the rears rub on the fenders if I have a heavy load or am rough riding. They are Bighorn tires 27x12x12 and are suppose to fit my bike according to RockyMountain atv. Any suggestions?? thanks

Please See these pics which show the rear tires:

Name:  sportsman800b.jpg
Views: 38
Size:  23.9 KB

Name:  sportsman800a.jpg
Views: 36
Size:  27.9 KB

Old 12-14-2008, 04:07 PM
Pro Rider

i hope the popo guys wont beat me up for posting here, but iv got a couple ideas.
dont polariss have adjustable rear suspention settings? if so, then stiffening the suspention would mean less travel and less rub when your carrying a load?
or idea #2, get a lift kit of some kind. like a 1" so you wont have the rubbing.

p.s. do you like the bighorns?

Old 12-14-2008, 06:01 PM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'll be nice, cherokee. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] I was thinking the same thing. There are 5 positions on the rear suspension adjustors. He should crank 'em up and see if that takes care of it.

Old 12-14-2008, 06:33 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks guys. I have the spring cranked on the rear, but still rubs. It actually melts the plastic when it comes in contact. I have ordered some heavy duty springs from EPI. I'll post the results in a week or two when they come in.

Name:  tirerub1.jpg
Views: 74
Size:  73.8 KB

Name:  Tirerub2.jpg
Views: 62
Size:  107.3 KB

Old 12-14-2008, 08:05 PM
Pro Rider

wow, you really are talking 6-7" of suspention travel. new lif springs should be the ticket

good luck

Old 12-14-2008, 08:31 PM
Moto Psycho

9.5" of travel but not that much room when the tires are <u>taller and wider</u> than stock. Eventually they will "self-clearance" if you don't do anything. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 12-14-2008, 09:03 PM
Pro Rider

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img] 9.5" no wonder popos have such a couch ride. foremans got mabe 3" travel im not complaining, i like my ride. but wow

Old 12-15-2008, 07:22 PM
Pro Rider

You might try the "hockey puck" cure. I just installed them on my AC 400 and my TRV to regain my GC from a combination of spring sag and worn out shocks. I had 25 inch tires rubbing on my TRV!

It involves getting a hockey puck, drilling a hole in the middle of it, removing the spring off the shock, slipping the puck on, and reinstalling the spring. It pre-loads the spring before you load it more with the adjuter on the shock. Takes about 1hr to do to all 4 shocks and it allowed both of my machines to get quite a bit of GC back. You can buy these same spring spacers on-line but I read that the slot that is cut in them to aid in installation causes them to fall off easier.

Plus it only cost about $8 (for 8 pucks) instead of $350 per machine for new springs and shocks. I also have the HD shocks from Highlifter on my 400 and they were no different than stock. Just a little trickier to compress with a ratchet strap.

I spoke with a guy who has used them now for 8yrs and has had zero issues. Since my installation I am very pleased and my adjuster is still at the softest setting. The machines no longer sink when I sit on them and I have a few notches to adjust it to as time goes on. It is worth a shot.

SJ

Old 12-15-2008, 09:44 PM
Range Rover

Maybe I'm the odd man out here but I'd take a cutoff wheel and radius those fenders so I wouldn't have to give up any of that articulation...but that's just me.

Old 12-16-2008, 12:26 AM
Moto Psycho

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: ss454

Maybe I'm the odd man out here but I'd take a cutoff wheel and radius those fenders so I wouldn't have to give up any of that articulation...but that's just me.</end quote></div>

That sounds like the easiest thing to do.

This might work better. Polaris sells pre-load adjusters that have 3 settings, 0, +1/2", and +1" of preload. They make them for the front and back. When you haul a ton of weight crank them up, and crank them back down when not hauling. $79.99 a pair.

Quick Reply: New tires rub on fenders