Drivetrain, Suspension & Tires Discussions on ATV drivetrain, suspension, and tires.

Tires spin on wheels

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2009, 02:48 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tires spin on wheels

I tried posting this in the general chat area and got no response but then realized maybe it was in the wrong place and thought I'd try it here.

I had a recent first experience with a paddle tire-wheel combination. I have ITP sandstars on douglas .190 rims mounted on a bone-stock raptor 350. I had the tires set up so that the tires were perfectly phased. I noticed after about 8 hours of pretty hard riding the tires were pefectly out of phase. I re-splined one back axle to phase the tires and got on with more riding. Long story short, I went through this two more times then decided to go to the local tire shop to have the tire remounted and the bead reset. The tire guy (who originally mounted the tire) said that the tire had spun on the rim about 1/2 turn. After remounting, I went riding again and 4 hours in noticed the tire had moved again. Also worth noting, there is no apparent air loss in the tire when this is happening. Has anyone out there had anything like this happen to them? Is it likely the tire, the rim or both? I'd like to not have to replace anything but will do what's necessary. For what its worth, I had a prior wheel tire set up (Skats on ITP 190) and had none of these problems for 3 years.

Old 07-24-2009, 02:52 PM
Trailblazer

sounds like the beads not seating right. Did your tire guy clean the tire and rim before remounting?? If there is dirt on the bead it won't seal up right.

Old 07-27-2009, 08:40 PM
Weekend Warrior

Yes, he cleaned it, then re-wetted the bead before reseating, but it still didn't hold. I'm getting ready to maybe buy new tires, Skat Edge this time instead of ITP Sand Star because the Edges I had hooked up way better. ANy thoughts befro I make the move?

Old 07-27-2009, 08:53 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

Before you try new tires try glue on the bead. We used to use the same glue on the tire bead that we used to plug tires. It sounds like the tire is heating up some and expanding, making it loose on the rim. If the glue doesn't work, a bead lock might. Not sure how they work on sand tires though.

Old 07-27-2009, 10:05 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Is A Power Sport Junkie!

it's because ITP wheels are junk.. Get douglas wheels and you'll never have a problem. Sand tires usually have more problems with ITP wheels due to the inner lip to hold the bead in is not deep enough to hold the bead. And don't worry about aligning the paddles..

Old 07-28-2009, 08:23 AM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by Speedy2222
it's because ITP wheels are junk.. Get douglas wheels and you'll never have a problem. Sand tires usually have more problems with ITP wheels due to the inner lip to hold the bead in is not deep enough to hold the bead. And don't worry about aligning the paddles..
From the original post:
"I have ITP sandstars on douglas .190 rims"

He DOES have Douglas Wheels--ITP Sandstars are the tires.

Old 07-28-2009, 06:46 PM
Range Rover

use only water to put the tires on. alot of people use soapy water and will cause it to slip. on my drag bike i only use water so my tire wont spin on my wheel

Old 07-28-2009, 09:25 PM
Weekend Warrior

Dumb question thats sorta related.
does anybody make beadlocks for ATV wheels? Wouldnt they prevent tire spin?

Old 07-31-2009, 11:00 AM
Trailblazer

Yeah there are manufacturers of beadlocks for ATVs. Or you could runs tubes and screw the tires to the wheels like on drag cars or pulling tractors.

Old 08-01-2009, 08:25 PM
Range Rover

i just pinted the inside of rim on mine and they stoped spinning on rim. also used hair spray for thi tire instead of soapy water it works on hand grips so i figured why not a tire

Quick Reply: Tires spin on wheels