Drivetrain, Suspension & Tires Discussions on ATV drivetrain, suspension, and tires.

ITP BajaCross tires? Versus Maxxis BigHorns?

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2009, 05:07 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ITP BajaCross tires? Versus Maxxis BigHorns?

Spoke with someone at ITP today. Their position is that their TerraCross is the equivalent of the Maxxis BigHorn (original version), and that the BajaCross is one step above both of them. The BajaCross is an eight ply tire so that definitely gives it some additional toughness, but has nothing to do with the rubber compound and thus tells us nothing about how it wears, rides, etc.

Regarding snow performance (something I'm interested in but usually can't get answers on), their suggestion was that the TerraCross will be a bit better in the snow but the BajaCross will do OK. They feel it's basically a tradeoff between better snow performance and tougher trail/rock performance.

Anyone here have hands-on experience with the BajaCross?

Old 12-14-2009, 06:00 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Mopar Man!

I doubt to manny here will have the BC's as they are a brand new tire, but there are plenty here that have used or have the BH's and will swear up and down by them. You can bet one thing the BH 2's will be much lighter saving power on your machine if that is a concern. I personaly am going to by the BH 2's just for that reason alone.

Old 12-15-2009, 12:16 PM
Pro Rider

I was sold on the Bighorn until I read the specs on the BajaCross and talked to their guy. Granted, he works for them so you have to filter what he says a bit, but his arguments were pretty good. So now I'm wanting to hear comparisons of the two.

Weight is a concern, but a minor one. I'm going to get new rims at the same time, and go with aluminum to offset some of the tire weight. There are some spun aluminum rims out there now that are down in the 6-7 pound range yet still very strong, and even the cast aluminum ones aren't much heavier. I'm willing to sacrifice a bit of performance to reduce my chances of a flat "way out there".

Old 12-15-2009, 01:14 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Mopar Man!

I am sure the BC will be great tires but the BH have proven them selveves over and over and ever since I have put the Razrs II on my my Raptor I am sold on Maxxis tires. If you do get the BC's give us a detailed report.

Old 12-16-2009, 08:43 PM
'5 minutes worth of planning equals 30 minutes of execution'

I have the Terracross and they are excellent. This is my second srt of ITPs (589s) and both have been exceptional.

You get what you pay for in tires.

Old 03-23-2010, 11:34 AM
Trailblazer

Thread revival...anyone with bajacross experience yet?

Old 03-28-2010, 06:51 PM
Pro Rider

Interesting that nobody has a set yet that's seen this post and is willing to talk about it.

Old 03-31-2010, 05:00 PM
Pro Rider

Still nothing on the BajaCross.

Old 04-05-2010, 10:02 AM
Trailblazer

Rode with a guy at Hatfield over the weekend that had brand new BajaCross on his sportsman. A group of 15 went down and i didnt really know him. But when i talked to him about them hes the kind of guy that just rides and doesnt pay attention to how he likes his tires. I asked him when he got them, and this was his first ride on them. I said, you know those are a pretty new tire style he said, nope just got them cause the guy at the store recomended them. Then at the end i asked how he liked them and he said well i guess they were ok, felt like any other tire to me.

Me, on the other hand, still really like my horns. It will be a hard sell to talk me out of another set when due.

Old 04-15-2010, 04:04 PM
Pro Rider

I'm still hoping for feedback on the BC's too. Unfortunate that guy that has them isn't more of a "tech head" that could share some solid opinions.

Since bad news travels faster than good news, I'm presuming the reason we haven't heard much is because they're so new and very few people have them. If they were trouble, we'd be hearing the complaints everywhere.

Quick Reply: ITP BajaCross tires? Versus Maxxis BigHorns?