Drivetrain, Suspension & Tires Discussions on ATV drivetrain, suspension, and tires.

need some tire suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2010 | 07:50 PM
|
Weekend Warrior
Default need some tire suggestions

i've got a 98 wolverine thats in need of some new rubber. About half of my riding is done along and in a creek with some hard and loose packed trails and alot of softball size loose gravel. the other half is mostly in the woods during hunting season. it does snow occansionaly here and i always go out and play in it, but this is minimal maybe 10%. Rarely go in the mud if at all.

there are no mods done to the bike and its a 350. the stock wheels are 23 and there are little to no offerings in that department. i don't mind going to 25 as long as its a light weight tire. i've been eyeballing the dirt devil 1 and 2, bear claw and zilla mostly but am open to any suggestions.

Old 08-17-2010 | 09:09 PM
Pro Rider

Look at the weight. I just put kenda executioner tires with black steel wheels on mine and they weigh about 35lbs each.
The UPS man about busted a gut when he unloaded them the other day.

One more word.
Talk to the seller if you are going to get wheels since you may need to buy new centers as the OE may not fit your new wheel/tire combo.

Old 08-17-2010 | 09:14 PM
Weekend Warrior

the zilla is a good tire but it sucks in the sand. i wouldnt get a set of those if you mostly creek ride

Old 08-17-2010 | 09:48 PM
|
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by hondarider123
the zilla is a good tire but it sucks in the sand. i wouldnt get a set of those if you mostly creek ride
there is no sand around here at ALL. alot of people joke around here saying the only dirt is actually chicken crap. the zillas are kinda what i keep leaning towards but im kinda worried about how they are going to wear. i know they say the rubber is kinda soft, but that doesn't always equal a fast wearing tire.

Old 08-18-2010 | 06:05 AM
Pro Rider
Reconranger (automatics are for sissies)!

I have the Zillas now and have to say they are the best tire I've had to this point. They wear well and grip well. I do mud alot so I went with the larger lugs but no need to in your situation. I think you'll like them. I bought mine at Best ATV Mud Tires : ATV Wheels : Cheap ATV Tire Kits : ITP Tires : Maxxis ATV Tires Free Shipping : Mud-Throwers.com.
Good luck
Buck

Old 08-18-2010 | 11:53 AM
|
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by SBuckJ
I have the Zillas now and have to say they are the best tire I've had to this point. They wear well and grip well. I do mud alot so I went with the larger lugs but no need to in your situation. I think you'll like them. I bought mine at Best ATV Mud Tires : ATV Wheels : Cheap ATV Tire Kits : ITP Tires : Maxxis ATV Tires Free Shipping : Mud-Throwers.com.
Good luck
Buck
thats the one thing thats holding me back is the wearing, but yours are wearing well? how many miles do u have on them?

Old 09-17-2010 | 09:52 PM
Pro Rider

I have 26" zillas with around 1400 miles on them. They are the larger lug design. I have not had 1 hole or any leaks and I ride alot of rocky trails. They do show wear but the tread depth is still over an inch. The treads are getting chunks taken out them though. They do great in mud, water and dirt trails. They do okay on hardpack under 40mph and they are okay on the rocks and wet slippery stuff. They run small and are light also. Rough under 5mph but smooth out decent after that. I just pulled mine off cause I have a test set of tires from DWT racing and am running diablo beadlocks for a review/preview and I probrably wont be putting the zillas back on after trying out the new shoes from dwt.