Drivetrain, Suspension & Tires Discussions on ATV drivetrain, suspension, and tires.

STI Black Diamond XTR Tires

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2011, 04:10 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default STI Black Diamond XTR Tires

Has anyone had any experience with these tires? Can't seem to find much info/reviews on them. They have been out for 6 months or so. Thought somebody would have something to say about them.

Old 09-27-2011, 04:00 PM
Range Rover
Thumbs down

Guess this overwelming response tells me all I need to know.

Old 09-27-2011, 06:07 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

Try PMing Specta. He's had some experience but he doesn't get up on here too often.

Old 09-27-2011, 06:10 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

Specta tested them with Doug Meyers. Here are Doug's reviews.

ATV Shows

ATV Shows

Old 09-28-2011, 11:05 AM
Pro Rider

Thor at theatvsuperstore took 'em out and did a nice review. He's sold a few sets and all the initial reports have been great. Haven't seen any high mileage write ups yet be/c they're so new.

Old 10-25-2011, 02:55 PM
Range Rover

Originally Posted by bgirard420
Thor at theatvsuperstore took 'em out and did a nice review. He's sold a few sets and all the initial reports have been great. Haven't seen any high mileage write ups yet be/c they're so new.
I saw Thor's review and it was good. However, he is trying to sell them so maybe a little biased??

Old 10-25-2011, 09:11 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by bobx2
so maybe a little biased??
Quite possibly, but the people who bought them really seem to really like them as well. Plus, the reviews that Moose posted give a big thumbs up. Tread pattern is nice and very similar to some of the pit bulls. Problem is that there isn't much longitudinal data on them yet because they are new; although I would imagine that they will hold up well since they are radial.

Old 11-01-2011, 10:09 AM
Pro Rider
Loves riding and can't get enough.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry I didn't see this thread sooner. I got the XTRs and a set of STIs HD1 Slick-Kote wheels and have been very impressed with them. I really like the Slick-Kote wheels on my Rubicon. Right now I have the same style wheel but the machined aluminum and I like them too.

These tires were designed and engineered for heavier SxS and the key to making them work so well on an ATV is to run 2 1/2 psi in them. That has worked great for me.

I have over 1500 miles on them since I put them on back in May.

My Rubicon is an early one and is in 4-wd all the time and I ride quite a bit of pavement here at the resort and I figure that I will get at least 4000+ miles out of them. No pavement and switchable 4-wd would only increase their mileage.

Their steering response and handling is exceptional. They do well on rocks, mud, loose surfaces and anywhere I run them. I do not do deep mud holes.

I would recommend them to anyone. I have another set of Black Diamond XTRs that I will be putting on my new Polaris soon.

Marysvale Peak #194 10/09/2011 - YouTube
This video is about 9500 ft in about 12" of snow Oct this year and the lugs are worn down to 3/4", the XTRs new have 1 1/8" lugs.

STI Black Diamond tires XTRs - YouTube

I also have 1500+ miles on them rather than just a ride around the block and I'm not trying to sell anything.

Old 11-02-2011, 03:45 PM
Range Rover

When I first posted this a buddy of mine had just bought a new 550 XP and we were doing some shopping and comparing. He ended up with the BD XTR's. First ride out he had a left front go flat. Aired it back up and has held every since. Might have been a little too low on pressure as he was experimenting and trying to figure them out. Think he had a bad gauge that was about 1 1/2 lbs. off. So far he is very happy with them other than they seem to run a little on the short side for a 26" tire.
To me, the sidewalls are too stiff. I'm not comfortable running 2 1/2 PSI in the fronts with 14" rims. Just not enough sidewall protection for the wheels. I was also concerned about sidewall protection for the tire itself, with no tread wrapping down the sidewalls, but they seem to be plenty stout, judging by the ride quality. (stiff)

Old 11-02-2011, 05:16 PM
Pro Rider
Loves riding and can't get enough.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My next set of tires will most likely be 26x14 for the Polaris, should know the first of the week.

I love the rocks and the tires have taken a beating and left virtually scarless.

They ride nice at 2 1/2 psi and I know that's what I will be running on my 14" rimes.

Quick Reply: STI Black Diamond XTR Tires