Drivetrain, Suspension & Tires Discussions on ATV drivetrain, suspension, and tires.

STI Black Diamond XTR Tires

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2012, 07:44 AM
Pro Rider
Loves riding and can't get enough.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I believe I owe you an apology. I apologize for being an ***.

I think I'm pretty hard on tires. I took out two sidewalls last year on two different sets of tires.

Here's my BHs with just under 4000 miles on them.
I never did get a flat but you can see the sidewalls are hammered.

These are on my Rubicon with about 1500 miles on them.
You can see by the rims I enjoy the rocks. Check the sidewalls - not a single mark.

I run 2 1/2 psi on both my Rubicon and 550 Touring. I purposely abuse these tires just to see what they will take and they are holding up exceptionally well.

BHs and BDs have the same type of sidewall construction and not a lot of tires share it because it costs more to produce tires that have it. Their sidewalls are constructed so that the first 1" or so of the tire next to the bead stays stiff to protect the wheel and tire. I would have to think if your friend trashed 3 BDs he would have also trashed 3 BHs.

I can't tell you how many times I have bashed a rock and thought for sure I ruined a tire only to look and not even see a bruise.

Sorry for your friends misfortune with his BDs. So far they have done nothing but impress me. These are the 7th set of tires I've had in two years and the 4th set on my 550 Touring.

I think BHs are a good trail tire, they are smooth and last a long time. However I think they are slow to respond in the steering department, handle poorly in the corners and are in no way an aggressive tire.

I'm putting on a set of Grim Reapers either today or tomorrow.