Drivetrain, Suspension & Tires Discussions on ATV drivetrain, suspension, and tires.

FRONT tire advice

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2018, 02:59 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FRONT tire advice

I have just gone through looking at new rear tires, as my bayou 220 is a 2wd i was most interested in replacing them. Now I am on to the fronts. I have a 9" rim and it has been a challenge to even find tires close to my OEM size. my OEM is 21x8x9..
I have found two tires and wanted opinions between the two.

This Kenda tire seems to be the cheapest tire, and from what i am reading, it has the best reviews. I need to know if that is because it is used a lot on hard dirt roads or just a great tire? I am getting aggressive mud/at tires for the rear so I will need something that can withstand hard packed logging trails, but also take on the mud. It is a 2wd atv so I know the rear is probably more important, but i need to replace the fronts anyway due to rotting.
https://www.motosport.com/kenda-max-at-front-tire

or

These Maxxis seem to be a little more expensive but look like a better tread for at/mud use. It seems to have a V pattern which i would assume would push mud away rather than cut right into it.
https://www.motosport.com/maxxis-pro-front-tire

I know nothing about tread patterns, and especially what is needed in a 2wd front tire so any advice between the two would be appreciated. If there are others you know of in a similar size i will entertain, I just found those to be high rated.

Old 06-05-2018, 11:20 PM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The Maxxis tire looks like it has more tread and the Kenda has a lot of empty space. If they're made of the same kind of rubber I think the Kenda would wear out faster. I see everyone gave the Maxxis tire 5 stars. One person gave the Kenda tire 5 stars, then came back less than 20 months later and gave it 4 stars and said they were worn flat in a month and a half after riding on pavement. It may be soft rubber that wears really fast. TBH I don't like the way it looks and wouldn't buy it.

Old 06-08-2018, 08:47 AM
Trailblazer

Yea I’m on the same page. The Kenda tread pattern doesn’t look great but glad to hear someone else thought that too.i found these cheap.. they are directional so I would think that even though it’s 2wd I can get them to help push some mud out of the way rather than just riding right over it.. they are a little bigger but I could get both fronts and rear to match.. and at $40 a tire I have a whole set for $160! would this tre be of any benefit over the Maxxis ? Or about the same. I see no reviews online so i cant get any good feel.

Old 06-08-2018, 02:30 PM
Moto Psycho

That Tracgard looks like an actual mud tire. It doesn't say on their website how deep the tread is, but the V shape will push mud out when you're going forward. It says, "Excellent choice for a variety of 2 and 4 wheel drive ATV applications". It comes in lots of different sizes and should work well on your Bayou. Tracgard N686 | Tracgard

Old 06-08-2018, 03:31 PM
Trailblazer

I am not certain but I think my front rims are 9x6.. will the 22x10-9 fit on that rim ? I know they are “off brand” but the tread looks identical to the Dirt Devils
And is that ok width for my stock oem wheel offset on the bayou ? I don’t want to rub when turning.

Old 06-08-2018, 07:00 PM
Moto Psycho

I don't know how well it would work, but why would you want to go 2" wider? It's not like it will give you any more traction.

Old 06-08-2018, 07:27 PM
Trailblazer

Yea I was just thinking they would be cheaper and the same quality as the Maxxis. Or better. Plus I could get the rear set to match which would look better I think if they all matched, and save a good amount too. Maybe it was a bad idea.

Old 06-08-2018, 11:58 PM
Moto Psycho

I've seen tires 4" wider than the rims on a 12" wheel. It worked but looked funny. It might work with a 9" wheel too, but I'd try to find something closer to the stock size. I just thought of something. The V pattern will push mud out of the rear tires when they start to spin. I don't know how much good they would do on the front with no power.

TBH I've never seen a 2WD with tires like that on the front. I think in the right size they would be a good option for the rear. A lot of 2WD ATVs don't have matching tires on the front and rear. The Tracgard on the back and Maxxis on the front should be okay.

My Trailblazer had matching front and rear tires but they don't make them in the sizes you need. AT 489s are like a cross between Vs and *****, instead of the Vs being one solid piece. Here's what they looked like. https://www.carlislebrandtires.com/o...-detail/at-498

Old 06-09-2018, 12:51 PM
Trailblazer

You say that the V will push mud out when they start to spin.. do you mean that in a good or bad way ? Because both the Dirt Devil and the TracGuard have that V type pattern for the rear.

I understand what you mean by not doing any good on the front. I’ll try to stick with the stock size.

Originally Posted by jumbofrank
I've seen tires 4" wider than the rims on a 12" wheel. It worked but looked funny. It might work with a 9" wheel too, but I'd try to find something closer to the stock size. I just thought of something. The V pattern will push mud out of the rear tires when they start to spin. I don't know how much good they would do on the front with no power.

TBH I've never seen a 2WD with tires like that on the front. I think in the right size they would be a good option for the rear. A lot of 2WD ATVs don't have matching tires on the front and rear. The Tracgard on the back and Maxxis on the front should be okay.

My Trailblazer had matching front and rear tires but they don't make them in the sizes you need. AT 489s are like a cross between Vs and *****, instead of the Vs being one solid piece. Here's what they looked like. https://www.carlislebrandtires.com/o...-detail/at-498

Old 06-09-2018, 03:54 PM
Moto Psycho

If your tires start to spin the Vs will push the mud out away from you. That's a good thing. You may be able to dig down to solid ground and get better traction. In reverse, or if your tires are mounted backward, some mud just sits there under your wheels. The traction isn't as good that way. Wide spaces between the lugs helps clear the mud out like on self-cleaning tractor tires, instead of packing in and acting like a bald tire.

The V pattern has other advantages. If you're not sure which way to go the Vs will point back where you came from. That kept me from getting lost before.

Quick Reply: FRONT tire advice