Drivetrain, Suspension & Tires Discussions on ATV drivetrain, suspension, and tires.

Mounting a tire on a beadlock rim?

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2001, 11:32 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am having trouble mounting my new Holeshot MX front onto beadlock rims. I have the tire on the rim itself, my problem is putting the beadlock ring back on.

I know the bead of the tire needs to fit into the slot, so the ring will hold it securely. What tricks are used to do this?

I have tried tightening the ring around from one side to the other. Hoping that the pressure from the ring would push the bead into the slot. But this attempt failed.

I have tried to hold the tire in place and put the ring on, but at 1am in the morning my coordination was not up to par.

What is the trick to keeping the bead of the tire in the proper place while tightening the ring?

Old 05-04-2001, 01:12 PM
Range Rover

I don't understand your question, but I have only done rear beadlocks, not the front. Are they different? When I installed the rear tire on the beadlock rim the "bead" of the tire layed right against the lip of the rim. It was just a matter of laying the beadlock ring on top and tightening it down. Evidently the fronts must be different.

By the way, you will like the Holeshot MX fronts if you haven't used them yet. I doubt if I will ever go back to my grooved radials, but I am keeping them anyway. Maybe a really hardpack track the radials might be better, but most of the tracks I ride are rather soft and loose.

Old 05-04-2001, 02:00 PM
Pro Rider

The fronts sound the same as you describe the rears. But the MX fronts are just a hair smaller than the rim on the beadlock side. (Yes, the rim size/tire size is correct)

It is just small enough to be tight when installed. Using my feet and hands I can hold the tire in place, but I do not have another pair of hands to put the ring on. As soon as I let go, any movement will cause the tire to slip up on the edge.

It was late and I was tired when I was attempting this. But I was wondering if anyone had a similar problem and an easy fix. Otherwise I will just keep trying or suck it up and ask the wife (gulp) for help.

I had the stock tires on there before, so it will be a big change. Especially the height of the tire will be 3 sizes smaller. Also I installed +2 arms and had my TCS shocks properly valved. So I am pretty excited about trying the whole package out at a race this Sunday.