Drivetrain, Suspension & Tires Discussions on ATV drivetrain, suspension, and tires.

Race Wheels (reinforcement rings)-Why so much $ ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2002, 09:24 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mike,

Hope this catches you before you buy the rims. Try checking the quad shop online. (i cannot post the website add. for some reason, it's forbidden) To find it go to the links section at www.exriders.com, there you'll also find other helpful sites. I know that they sell OMF products and Marty is great to work with. He should be able to work you out a deal that is pretty good. Plus he doesn't rake you over the coals on shipping like other companies.

I also agree with you that these rims are quite expensive. And who said that we cannot judge it. I'll judge anything I want.

I see that you're in Huntingdon. Do you work at one of the SCI's? Maybe we can hook up for a ride sometime up here at the Marienville Trail system. I live about 20minutes from the trail head near Kane, PA.

Ray

Old 01-28-2002, 01:23 PM
Pro Rider

CBRSLIDER,

Thanks for the help with the links. I need all the help I can get at this point. I'll eventually buy the wheels, but now I have to worry about paying for a new 6' x 14' enclosed trailer and a new quad for the kid's birthday.

Yeah, I work at the new(er) SCI on the hill. Maybe we can get together some day up at Marienville.

C-Ya!

Old 01-29-2002, 09:15 AM
Pro Rider

Mike,
I usualy make a post reflecting my opinion and do not argue with people. I did not mean to argue with you and I am glad you did not take it that way. I was just defending all those guys who are on their own,those small companies owners who work hard trying to make living./ 2/3 new start ups go out of bussines within 2 years and those who survive employ 75% am.workforce../ It's not gonna take long and the money will not be an issue. Finding someone able to perform required task for any cost will be..../4 dealers unable to fix my 4 months old Grizzly an I was willing to pay for it!!!/.

Slider,you can certainly "judge" anything you want....

Joe

Old 01-29-2002, 09:32 AM
Pro Rider

colt77,

I believe you, and I know that small business accounts for over 90% of all jobs out there. The big corporations have their use, but if you want a finished product, most of the time you'll have to look to small business. It's cool, I took no offense at what you said.

Old 01-30-2002, 06:30 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Mike,
Looks like you have had some good answers, but I am going to jump in. I too have the same question. I plan on building these and have done some research. Not that you haven't figured this out yet, but:
They buy the wheels from ITP or Douglas (that costs, there is not as big a mark up as you think - without getting into dealer discount). Then they have to pay for a mold to punch these rings out on ($12000) plus I am sure that they have this done for them or worse yet to pay a machine shop to machine them on a hundred thousand dollar machine. Then to spend 1 hr preparing the two aluminium surfaces and welding two rings on with a $2800 welder.
I agree it sounds excessive, but after all this the guy wants to make some money.

I believe quad race parts are over priced. I raced sprint cars for 12 years at near professional level which is very expensive. Switching to quads, would be cheaper, right? Quad aftermarket parts are MORE expensive then the larger and all aftermarket sprint car parts. This I don't understand, but I guess I have to pay it if I want the parts. I can tell you though that generally, the mail order dealers aren't making that much on thier return.

Stock wheels with the rolled edge are stronger than .190's with no rolled edge. I run GNCC and I have had much better luck with the stock wheels. I am running some rear carbon fibers, but are selling them and will go with either stock or race wheels. Carbon fibers are heavier than race wheels, but lighter than aluminium beadlocks. I won't go back to beadlocks until I roll the tire bead off the rim, which I haven't had happen yet.

Just another opinion.