Drivetrain, Suspension & Tires Discussions on ATV drivetrain, suspension, and tires.

Steering Stabilizers - Worth the money?

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2000, 10:01 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd like to hear from anyone who's tried a steering stabilizer. I usually go through the entire Summer with sore wrists and arm pump. What brands has everyone tried? I'm thinking of putting it on a 400EX. Is the PEP or the Denton one better? Thanks for your comments!

Bruce
2000 Banshee
99' 400EX
99' wolverine

Join Blue Ribbon and support our sport!

Old 03-22-2000, 11:21 AM
Trailblazer

I'd say get the denton, it has a lot more adjustablity than the PEP and can be had fo only $40 more. I have a riding buddy that has the Denton now. He had the PEP but he blew the seel out in two of them (we think nacs fixed the one he sent back and sent it back to him) so he got a denton. Also it is worth the money, it is the best way, other than riding everyday, to help end arm pump.

Mr_400eX

Old 03-22-2000, 12:44 PM
Pro Rider

I don't think that a stabilizer will help that much if you are running stock with a-arms, it will help somewhat but you won't be able to tell the difference as much as if you were running a wide front end. I can tell you that they make a world of difference though, especially in the whoops. I had a PEP and it worked great, I know that the Denton model is more expensive but a little more adjustable. There are tons of stabilizers available but the least expensive is the PEP at about $95. They all work the same so you would be happy with any of the ones that are available.

Old 03-22-2000, 02:17 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Steering stabilizer will not make much of a difference. Also did you know that some of the stabilizers out there for quads are the same used for the VW bug and cost about $18-22 given you make the brackets. I have a dune buggy and matched it up same brand and same body. If you want to get rid of sore hands and wrists Check into LSR steering stems With the antivibe mount It is about $300 but well worth it it will flex a little front to back getting rid of the vibrations in your hands arms etcc...
hope this helps

Old 03-22-2000, 05:23 PM
Pro Rider

Well, you asked and you're getting lots of opinions. Here's another one. I run a PEP & find that it does reduce impact thru the steering column. The PEP has 3 adjustments & most people I know that use them , other than expert or pro riders, seem to find one adjustment that works for them & they leave it in that position. Racers that ride a wide variety of tracks or terrain may find the multiple adjustment models worthwhile but for the rest of us, they're simply more bells & whistles.Another item that will help reduce general fatigue & arm pump is a good set of bars. The alloy bars will flex enough to absorb much of the shock radiating up the steering column.
Finally, check your riding position..if you ride in the attack position, that is, sitting forward on the seat (when not standing) with upper body bent forward at the waist & elbows high & arms bent, you'll find that hard riding and/or rough terrain will not affect your arms & wrists nearly as much. This position will give you much greater leverage in turns also, further reducing upper body fatigue. Of course an improvement in suspension will also make a difference.

Old 03-22-2000, 05:44 PM
Range Rover

We'll I own both the PEP and Denton and I have to say the denton is far superior. The PEP has 3 different holes that would give it 3 positions but to change the PEP you have to get off and remount the stabilizer. With the denton you can sit on the bike, turn the **** and presto you are in business. I liked the PEP until I got the denton for my 88. Now I will never own another PEP. My PEP would bind up if you tried to run it in any of the positions other than the middle one. The Denton fits better too. There really is no comparison. But To answer your question, yes a steering stabilizer will help. But, It will not replace shocks if you don't already have them. I run the Denton all the way tight(which is very stiff) on ultra rought MX tracks where even the straights are chewed up. But then by just turning a **** can adjust it to where you don't know its there at all for flattrack racing.

CT250R.....1986 CT310R, 1988 CT270R

Old 03-22-2000, 10:24 PM
Pro Rider

Hey Bruce;
Just to back up what everybody else is saying, the PEP that I have on my 400EX is nice and also stops some of the darting of the front end in quick bumps or compressions, the PEP on my bike I can only run in the soft or middle hole. If not mounted properly, it will bend when steered to the left and right extreme position. If I could get my money back I would spend it on a Denton, then I would buy some aftermarket shocks.
Good riding, Nick

Old 03-23-2000, 01:28 AM
Trailblazer

Well, the stabilizers do reduce impact through the handlebars. I am running the PEP on my 250R. I have blown out two of them, and I hate it when I have to ride without one. I agree with the person who said if I could have my money back, I would get the Denton. The Denton is much nicer than the PEP.

I definetly recommend a dampner, and if you want to get more for your money, get the Denton.

Old 03-23-2000, 09:15 AM
Range Rover

For the type of riding I do (GNCC's and hare scrambles), a stabilizer can make a fairly big difference. Not only does it reduce arm fatigue when you are racing for over two hours it also helps to minimize the affect of bumps and ruts when riding at higher speeds.

As far as the type of unit to get, I would have to recommend that you stay clear of the PEP. As others have noted, it has a tendency to explode. I have personally gone through two of them in the last 10 months. I believe that a big reason they fail is that they mount so close to the headpipes and get hot.

I switched over to a "Muscle" stabilizer from Magic Racing (although I believe the same unit is sold by others under a different name) that is very similar to the Denton. The nice thing about it is that, like the Denton, it has a seven-way adjuster on it and it is completely rebuildable.

Regards,

Dennis

Old 03-23-2000, 10:00 AM
Range Rover

Thanks for your input everyone! It looks like the Denton model is the way to go. Maybe shocks will be next. Thanks again!

Bruce
2000 Banshee
99' 400EX
99' wolverine

Join Blue Ribbon Coalition and support our Sport!

Quick Reply: Steering Stabilizers - Worth the money?