Dunes and Dune Machines Discussion on dunes and dune machines.

Couple of questions about the 4th at Florence

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2003, 11:56 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Couple of questions about the 4th at Florence

WILDCHILD660R- you would think that the rangers would know how to do a proper sound check but last year at florence i saw them have a guy fire up his 250r and do a sound check between two quad hauler trailers and he came in at 103 decibels and i talked to him later and he said he had been tested before at 96 decibels so at least some of the rangers are not properly schooled on how to do a sound check.

Old 06-30-2003, 10:58 AM
Elite Pro Rider

wildchild i run a open end cap on a graydon, so no but i do have a supertrap end that can bring it down. and yes i was there memorial weekend.

Old 06-30-2003, 01:25 PM
Pro Rider

sandman, do you have regular hauller paddles on your DS or do you have some other smooth kind?

Old 06-30-2003, 01:38 PM
Pro Rider

duneittillude - I know its pathetic isnt it. They pretty much have no idea what their doing. Sandman - them graydon pipe with open end caps are loud as HELL on a raptor ! are they the same on a DS?

Old 06-30-2003, 02:25 PM
Elite Pro Rider

aren't they the same as a ct pipe? i think i'm quiet next to the wife she runs woods pipes that way they will get her[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] i repack them often and that helps. ugintel i run haulers just went to smooth buffs up front. have the 8 paddle now it pulls the hill better and the flats rock over the tens, but the tens were great coming off the line.

Old 06-30-2003, 03:11 PM
Pro Rider

Ya CT and graydon are practically the same pipe if not. I run the 16 disc set-up and its not very loud at all. I know if I ran the open end cap it would be extremely loud.
PS - did you get the discription I gave you of what my bike looks like you you can spot me at dunefest?

Old 06-30-2003, 03:30 PM
Elite Pro Rider

got it thanks

Old 07-01-2003, 12:17 AM
Range Rover

Since January I've been riding 10+ times from Florence to Coos Bay and I've seen more Forest service guys than I did all last year. Twice in one weekend it looked like rats fleeing a sinking ship at comp when the F.S. guys pulled up in there green truck with the pretty blue raptor in the back. There were nine of us parked at the base of the little hills halfway between South Jetty and the Beach access road. We had a bike outa commission and were trying to figure out what was wrong with it so we never saw them coming. After having us start our bikes we were informed that 5 out of 9 were to loud but the guy was cool and told us to look into a quiter exhaust because they were really gonna start cracking down. Two weekends later I saw 3 guys pull into Winchesters day use parking lot and start unloading there bikes. F.S showed up right after they got them off the trailer and broke out the tester. 15 min later they were loading up there bikes because the F.S guys said if they caught them on the sand they were gonna get a ticket. A month or so after that I was coming up Spinreel hill and damn near ate the bumper on a Forest service truck who was driving towards the edge. I know damn well that guy wanted to test me since I have a Yoshi pipe and was rolling on the throttle as I came up. A quick left turn and I was heading for Hauser rd. slamming gears and not looking back. I've never been tested but I know I'm over the 93 limit. Hell, a stock raptor is 92 if I remember right.

I have no problem with the alcohol ban but I think the sound limit is pretty pathetic. They claim it's because there are houses close and they don't like to hear us. Well ya know what, don't move next to an airport then b!tch cause the planes are to loud. Or get a house next to train tracks if you don't like the sound of trains. I stay inside the boundrys, never leave trash on the dunes, often clean up other people's mess, I ride smart (spotters for jumping ect.), and I don't cause trouble. We are given a limited area to ride in. Please, Let us have it and leave us alone.

Old 07-01-2003, 01:52 AM
Pro Rider

well said treeshot ! well said !

Old 07-01-2003, 04:41 PM
Range Rover

We can all bitch about the noise req's till we are blue in the face....We might as well nut up and get quiet exhausts. The noise cops are getting worse every year. If we do not want to see our awesome dune areas get closed little by little, than start trying to play within the rules !!!
The city of Florence has no say when the federal government takes away our PRIVELAGE to ride on land they control. Anyone remember being able to ride right next to hwy 101 at florence or the sand islands ?? Noise req's are happening at many areas accross the country(yes ours are very strict). There are several excuses for not wanting to meet the noise req's, But the bottom line is they keep statistics on everyone tested and complaints....This just fuels the reasons to take more land for noise buffer zones...I agree it sucks. Would you rather have to have quiet exhaust or no riding areas ??? I am not saying that I am for noise req's..I am against losing more riding area !!!!
Wildchild- your CT sonic pipe was tested in dirtwheels shootout I beleive, it was way loud !! It is made by the same company that makes many other pipes-Powerpros. The Q series pipes by fmf are some of the quietest available,big gun makes a quiet too hopefully more will come.Also make sure you check how far from the pipe and at what RPM they are checkin them !! Powerpros makes a "superquiet" 2 stroke silencer, I have them on my banshee and sons blaster....they were tested @ 90-91db. Good luck....I for one do not want to loose any more precious dune area !!!!

Quick Reply: Couple of questions about the 4th at Florence